Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock mounting issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTChevy, May 26, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got some hydro TC shocks when i bought my lift kit a while back. The shocks in the rear fit perfectly with the 10 bolt axle. Now i have switched to a 14BFF rear end. The shock on the rear of the axle fit fine but the shock on the front side. (drivers side) hits the axle tube on the lower shock mount. I looked at the shocks and it looks like the mounting point on the lower mount needs to come forward. Its a stock placed mount but it looks like it was welded a little lower down to clear the brake line. Am I just going to have to refab the mount or is there a different way to do this? I'm sure im not the only person who has had this problem.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The same thing happened when we installed a 14FF in a friend Blazer. We just knocked off the axle mounts and welded new ones on.

3. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack, but is it safe to weld to the axle tube without removing axle shafts and gear oil?

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep I had to move that mount on mine as well as it strted to dent the shock body after use. Yeah it's fine to weld on the axle as is.

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'm bringing this one back up.

I'm having the same problem, but with the mount on the rear of the axle. Can I run the shock upside down, with the tube up top? Any ill effects of running it like that?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Not unless the destructions that you got with the shocks said they can be ran in a different position. The reason being is that shocks tend to be made to be ran a certain way (tube up, tube down) and changing it up with a shock that isn't meant to be switched will screw up the valving.