Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock mounting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Apr 16, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i got me a set of the f@rd towers for the front. i was thinking of running the shocks straight up and down, are there any pros or cons to running them straight up and down, what would be the best way to mount them if straight isnt a good idea. thanks, chris

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shocks are generally most efficient at dampening when they are straight up-and-down over an axle. This is not always a good thing. For instance, if you are using a shock that is stiffer than you really want... it might ride better (be softer) if you ran it at a bit of an angle. In any event, if there is room under your hood to mount them that way, I say go for it... no reason why not.

j

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

One other thing is that when flexing the axle doesn't move striaght up and down. THis is why the factory location is angle some.
    When compressing a sode the tire actual moves towards the rear of the vehicle.

4. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

True, true! Keep it angled as close to stock as you can. I had firewall clearance problems on the drivers side and debated the same as you. I am very glad I trimmed it and positioned it correctly. The extra flex gained from this mod makes it even more important. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One other thing is that when flexing the axle doesn't move striaght up and down. THis is why the factory location is angle some.
    When compressing a sode the tire actual moves towards the rear of the vehicle

[/ QUOTE ]
    makes sense, so then on the rear when i go to mount my cross member should i bolt it up so the shocks are angled? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have been looking into mounting my front shocks straight up and down (actually with a very slight rake of about 2'' at the top of the shock to account for the lengthening of the spring and rearward movement of the axle when springs compress.) The only problem that I have run into when using the ford towers to do this is that they will not clear the steering shaft. On the passenger side it is a straight shot all the way to the hood. This problem makes a hoop of some sort necessary. Juanblzer did this by incorporating the upper mount into his tubed front end http://community.webshots.com/photo/48577027/48658589nJBXic this is the best that I have come across so far /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but you also have to account for the movement of the tires under articulation. When one side is compressed it will bring the top of the tire closer to the frame (or in this case the shock) and taller tires will only exaggerate this effect. So the closer you can bring the top of the shock to the frame the better (while still avoiding the steering shaft)