Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock mounting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sf_wood, Apr 20, 2005.

1. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

I just ordered front shock towers(p#e5tz-18183-a)from ford 11.95 each,good price.My question is what position do i mount them in? I have a 1977 K10 (465/205/d44/14bff) also my rear lower shock mounts hang below axle tube how do i reposition them, what about upper mounts.
    just so you know , I have COMPLETE ORD 6" lift with all the goodies. :saweet:

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

You can mount them in whatever position you want as long as the shock stays parallel in the mount during full suspension cycle. I broke the eyes off of 2 shocks because one mount was angled back a bit too much. Once I corrected the angle, I've had no problem.

Shock Mount.jpg

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Set them so that at full stuff you can't quite bottom them out. I figure that the bumpstop will compress to half it's normal height in a really hard hit. If you tend to be hard on bumpstops them I would set them so that at metal to metal they are 1/2"-1/4"' shy of fully compressed. Don't forget that in articulation the axle will come up further at the damper mount than at the bumpstop.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status