Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Jul 13, 2003.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

90 Suburban....I want to relocate the drivers side upper shock mount forward to mimmic the passenger side. I am installing a D60 from a '72 GMC. I don't see any problems with this, what do you guys think?

Also, why didn't GM just mount them like this on the later model years?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Staggering the rear shocks is an effective means of limiting wheel hop. - Sounds odd, doesn't it ? But if you think about it, axle-rotation is being dampend by at-least one shock in either dirrection.

Further proof,
    '67 camaros have a the rear shocks in-line on the same side of the axle. It suffered signifacant wheel-hop or axle wrap problems. (ask me how I know, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
    In '68, they staggered the rear shocks and therefore, limited the wheel-hop.

I'd stick with the stock positioning of the rear shocks. Allthough, when the truck is lifted, the shock's effectiveness is redused due to the angle of the shock is more "up-right". It's still effective, and works rather well.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if you just dont like the looks of the opposed shocks, , just add two more in the opposite direction. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif