Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rebel88, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

well it has come that time...i need some rear shocks that are longer...

what is everybody's opinion? i need a shock built for 8" or more of lift with plenty of travel...and they have to be cheap...im only buying two rear shocks right now but i dont wanna pay over 200 bucks(less than 150 would be better)

so let me know what yall think

Later

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

btw...i was thinking of bilsteins or doetsch tech just didnt know alot about them...any pros or cons?

Later

3. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

I recently got the Bilstein 5100 series (aluminum finish body) gas charged shocks and REALLY like them. They make them for lifted, full-size applications. Basically, determine your fully extended and collapsed length requirements and call Mike A. at Kartek Off-road (909)737-7223. Based on the measurements he'll hook ya up. $70 per shock. You'll love em. The bushings are set-up for 1/2 inch mounting hardware so the stock upper mounts are OK but you'll need to press in new bushings (rancho replacement bushings fit great) in the lower mounts to accomodate the larger bolt.

Tell Mike A. that Eric in Sierra Vista sent ya !

See ya, Eric

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am running the Doetsch-Tech 8403's, about 13.5" of travel, ride nice, and perform well. You can account for that Ed.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey Pete...how much did they run and where did you get them?

how did you determine how much travel you need and all that good stuff? i need to figure that stuff out i was just gonna ask for a shock for an 8-10 inch lift application...that should work for me

Later

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

do they carry the rancho bushings or would i have to track some down myself?

Later

7. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

I found them at the local 4wd shop - there are lots of manufactures that will fit. Energy suspension, daystar, etc....I went with the rancho size replacements because they fit just right in the bilstein lower end. The bottom line is the bushing must accept a sleeve for a 9/16 bolt while at the same time fit inside the lower eye of the shock. Turns out the Bilstein lower eye is almost exacly the same as the ranchos so it works out. This is for a STOCK 1987 K5 rear shock mount.

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The 8403's go for like $35 a piece from Summit. I just set the shocks up at the halfway mark and then welded everything up. When I finally get me 63's(really 64")I will give the shock more droop and less compression because my truck still has some sheet metal in the way for now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The good thing about that much lift is being able to mount the shocks on top of the axle. I will probably make a new taller crossmember for my rear shocks now since I did a 2" body lift and mount the shocks on top of the axle.
    But if you keep the shocks in the stock location, then just get a shock to work with a 8-10" lift, the 8403's might be too long for a stock setup.

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

right now mine are in the stock locations...but im in the process of building a crossmember to relocate them a bit...do you mind grabbing a measurement of yours as far as the body of the shock is concerned...i checked out their website and they look like they would work fine but i wanna be sure before i order them

thanks man

Later

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

what do you want, the extended and collapsed length?

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah that would be great...also the length of the actual body of the shock

thanks Pete

Later

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I will measure them up when I get home from work.

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Body of the shock is 17.75" from top of body to the bottom mounting hole. Total collapsed length from hole to hole is 20"; this is including the bump stop. Expanded from hole to hole is 32".