Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MILOLGJC, Mar 1, 2003.

1. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

I have a 76 K-5 4x4 that is in need of some new shocks. It has one on each wheel. The vehicle sees very little off-road use and then only in the fields on fairly flat ground. Some places I have checked with recommend KYB or Rancho's(SP) I believe. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I think most recommendations will depend on how much you plan to spend. What's your budget?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I have to agree with Swanson there. I installed a set of Rancho RS9000's on my dads F350, and they are awesome. They were about $70 each though, and they are the older design. The new design is about $85 each. They are bad arse shocks though. If your budjet is tighter then you could opt for a Rancho RSX, or 5000 series. Edelbrock makes a good street shock to from what I hear. I have not really delt with many other shocks beside those though.

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I will have to agree with Hossbaby50, I installed rs9000's last weekend on the front and I LOVE THEM!

6. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

The shocks on the beast are worn badly. The shock bushings are cracked and the vehicle bounces slightly at speed. We got the truck from my father this past fall and are trying to fix it up a bit. I thought maybe in the $250-300 range would be reasonable. I am spending $$$ on this thing every month in order to play catch-up from years of neglect. One last Q...how hard was it removing the upper and lower bolts on the shocks. I would be a ton that these shocks have been on the truck quite a while by the looks of them.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you don't plan on a lift and want to do it right, go with the Rancho 9000's. They are now 9 way adjustable for ride, and are GREAT shocks. You can set the stock to the setting that makes your truck ride the best, and then adjust if for a heavy load or whatever you want.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't want to spend more than say $150 myself, any opinions in the cheap shock market?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just get a set of Gabriel LT shocks with VST they work great on or off road and only cost around 30.00 ea. They ride and handle way better than my old Rancho RS 5000s. Cheaper too.

KYBs are also an excelent shock if you have a stock truck. And are priced farily reasonable for a performance shock.
    I really cant see any reason to spend a bunch of money(80.00+ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) on shocks if you are driving a stock rig.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

In the $150 range I would go with the DT's
    thats what I'm going with once I get the funds transfered

-Jeremy

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

It seems like most people here would have to disagree with me, but I would not buy another set of rancho RS9000's. I run dual shock on the front and they still fade fast when I am wheeling in the dunes /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I will say that the RSX's have good on road (and offroad) ride characteristics and are cheaper than the 9000's. Many people around here really like doetsch tech shocks and they are pretty cheap too. I would recommend that whatever you choose, make sure they are gas charged.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

DT8000s, best shock you can get for $35 a pop. hell, prolly the best non-adjustable shock u can get for under $75 a pop. Give WTO a ring, they can hook u up! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you don't plan on a lift and want to do it right, go with the Rancho 9000's. They are now 9 way adjustable for ride, and are GREAT shocks. You can set the stock to the setting that makes your truck ride the best, and then adjust if for a heavy load or whatever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah at first I was skeptical, I have them on my blazer and there awesome, I run them at the softest position around town and for having 10" springs the ride is pretty soft. Got a load or wanna wheel, crank em up, id say there worth it.