Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock options/Opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Mar 2, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is inboarding your rear shocks the only way to get more travel? Since I"m doing so much messing with suspension, my front shocks are too short, my rears are really limiting my travel though too (they're the Gabrials).

I really don't want to inboard my shocks. Besides being quite a bit of work, I'm worried about losing the wheelhop reduction in the rear if I do so, then I'll need and anti-wrap bar and by the time it's all over I will wish I'd just built a 4 link in the first place.

So, are there any shock options for stock mounts? It seems to me about 32" is as long as a shock gets. I haven't tested mine out yet but I don't think that will work for me.

I have to hurry up and get my mech clutch swapped out too so I can get my Ford towers on that are sitting in the garage. My front RS5000s don't fit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have done lots of research on the rear shocks.
    It appears the only way to get the additional travel is by going inboard. I decided to go with the Doetsch 8403 shocks from Summit ($34/ea) they have 13.5" of travel.

I think the limiting factor for the rear stock mounts is when you stuff a tire up in the well, there isnt much room for the shock to collapse and might break off the mount.
    You can see a pic of the 8403 on stock rear mounts on my blazer link below

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is inboarding your rear shocks the only way to get more travel

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    Could poke them up thru the bed.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems to me about 32" is as long as a shock gets.

[/ QUOTE ]
    RS99036 is 36" long.....

Marv

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 36"er might work out great marv!! I actually considered using a Ford tower in the rear too, this gets me to thinking.

I can run single shocks in the rear with the towers, and have good travel with mounts outside the frame.

My problem doesn't seem that the shocks are not enough travel, it's that the overall length is/was insufficient for the possible wheel travel.

I'm going to research that part number tomorrow. Thanks, Marv.