Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock placement question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by one, Sep 26, 2002.

1. one

one Registered Member

Is a 90 degree angle to the axle better than a 60 degree angle for a dual shock setup? My k5 comes stock with duals angling back...whats up? Planning longer travel shockhoops(90degree)with new lower mounts or extended shock mounts(f150 style)in stock position.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I think Greg72 has this set up on his 1st Gen. (Stomper) Check with him! Good luck!

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Benjamin,

A shock will lose effectiveness as it is angled....I have all the numbers here somewhere....but basically, the more upright you can keep the shocks, the more damping they can provide.

By the time a shock is angled to 45 degrees, it is only 70% as effective as one that is mounted at 90 degrees.....

There are practical limitations to where the shock can physically fit, but I always strive for as "vertical" as possible. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. one

one Registered Member

Thanks! I'm going for the sttraight up placement with hoops. Wish me luck!

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It also depends on what "rate" you want from the shock. This is based on how the shock is valved, how stiff your springs are, how much sprung/unsprung weight you have, and the wheeling you do. What I'm trying to say is that you don't always want every shock vertical in every application. For instance, I have 5012s all the way around my rig. There is more weight in the front and I want more control up there so they are mounted about 30* off vertical (also limited options up there anyway). In the back, I have less weight and I basically only want the shocks to prevent pogo effects, so they are angled forward about 45*. With softer valved shocks (50xx Ranchos are notoriously stiff) you would achieve the same results with less angle.

The results also depend on how the shocks are oriented with respect to forces. For instance, rear shocks with the top mounted in the center (as is very popular around here) provide very little roll control, but it does allow a longer shock to be used as well as providing an *effectively* longer shock. I mount mine with the top on the outside of the frame, kicked forward instead of inside. Same shock “rate” but better roll control.

So, the real answer is, it depends…