Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock positioning?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Nov 6, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have dual shocks up front (stock position and one that is vertical from the knuckle to the engine mount). I took the vertical one off today cause of all the things I heard about dual shocks being bad and was surprised to see that the truck rolled a lot more in turns. I am going to put all monotubes all the way around soon...but should I put it in the stock position up front or in a vertical position? Any help would be appreciated as it helps me choose shock lengths. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally use the vertical position. Have any pictures of your setup? The more verticl the shock is mounted the better it does its job, and on the front end, the better it helps stop body roll.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use the angled position and you'll get more travel.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If speed is your interest then you want the damper mounted as close to the wheel as is possible. B4 I bailed out of further mods to my Sub (in search of a better body) I put the lower mounts on the 'C' bracket. A socket on the upper BJ nut just barely clears the damper's eyelet.
    I try to mount them such that at ride height they are leaned over a bit, but as the spring compresses the damper gets more vertical. The idea being that the damping isn't as effective when laid over (smooth ride on the pavement), but the more vert it gets the effective the damping gets (more control on the big hits).

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I think I like the idea of running Ford towers up front with the longer shocks. In the rear, is it better to run them at an inboard position ( / \ ) or in their stock position. The longer shock will most likely not fit in stock location, so would it be bad to go to inboard if it's a pickup that tows occasionally? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

old dordges had the inverted v set up so it cant be all bad. they dont use it now though so im not sure.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I like the idea of running Ford towers up front with the longer shocks. In the back, is it better to run them at an inboard position ( / \ ) or in their stock position. The longer shock will most likely not fit in stock location, so would it be bad to go to inboard if it's a pickup that tows occasionally? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the room to do so I would mount them leaned slightly to the rear, as close to the wheel as possible, and straight up as viewed from the rear. As they move further inboard the damping rates get less effective.

Mounted like the older Dodge trucks did seems to not resist body roll as well. At least that's been the experience of a few friends who've tried it. Don't think I'd do that on a tow rig. Hopefully someone with direct experience with this will chime in.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run stock rear shocks up front in the auxilary shock position.