Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Aug 29, 2003.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I have a 1983 k5 it has a 6 inch lift and 35s on it. It rides like crap, what shocks would you guys reccomend for it. The truck is a daily driver in the winter, Are dual shocks worth looking into?
    TIA for your time

brad

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Dual shocks are not worth it unless you are really beating and banging playing Bo Duke down the fireroad, even then, you have to have the right shock.

A good shock for you, which is on the cheap side is the Rancho 9000. They are adjustable for what ever you are doing. There's also a kit so you can change the settings from the cab.

Another good choice is the Bilstein 5100. They are a little more expensive, but definately worth it.

3. 99firehawk

anyother opinions ?
    tia

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Someone was talking about some gabriels or monroes. I can't remember which. I'm sure they will chime in though. Suppossedly good shocks. Mine are old and worn out too. In the same boat you are, with out the lift though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kris

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Gabriel G63438 available at your local Autozone with a lifetime warranty for $20 each.

If your truck rides like crap though, you need softer springs, not shocks.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're just trying to cure a rough ride, I would suggest removing the shocks and taking it for a drive to see if it rides any smoother. It will definately be bouncier, but justdrive it to see if it's noticably softer. If it's still stiff as a board then there is no need to waste money on shocks. </font>

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A different set of tires fixed my ride problem, could be the culprit....

You didn't say which 6" lift you had, some of them are always gonna ride like crap....

8. 99firehawk

Maybe I should rephrase it rides nice and soft but when i hit a bump it continues bouncing for 15 seconds or more, since bumps are usually spaced out less then 5 seconds, I feel as though im driving a trampoline. Both of the front shocks are leaking oil profusely. Im leaning towards the autozone ones. Any other recomendations apreicated.
    tia

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

There is another post I started for the above mentioned Gabriel shocks but those are for a rear 4" lift. Might be able to use them in the front on a 6" lift? What is measurement from bolt to bolt on the front? These gabriels are 18" compressed and 30" extended. Someone first posted these shocks for the front with furd shock towers (I dont remember who found the shock number originally?). I bought some about 8-9 months ago and I got my BDS lift a couple weeks ago and the rears are the same as the gabriels.