Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock replacement…Trailmaster SSVs…need help please.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Nov 3, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Search done, must not be using right word combo. Anyway, I bought a gently used set of Trailmaster SSV shocks and want to put them on…hoping to improve my ride. Never replaced shocks before, continuing my CK5 education, so before I hurt myself or get crushed, figured I’d confirm what I need to do. Some conflicting directions in Chiltons/Haynes as to whether or not the axles need to be jacked up or not. My plan is to not jack up the vehicle and just leave it sitting like it was parked...is this right? Sounds like a simple deal...just unbolt and replace.

Also, does everyone extend and compress the shock manually a few times before installing? Not sure what this does but it’s what the Chilton/Haynes says to do.

Thanks in advance for the help w/ a rookie replacement! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Shock replacement…Trailmaster SSVs…need help please.

no need to lift the axle or anything for shocks. as you said, they are bolt-on. AFA compressing/extending the shock by hand... not sure what its supposed to accomplish. On the other hand, it'd only take a minute to do, so why not. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Shock replacement…Trailmaster SSVs…need help please.

Thanks, jek! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif