Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock talk.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gold Rush, Mar 19, 2000.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I never paid attention before about the length of my shocks. The front has Rancho 5001's for a 4" lift. They only let the front droop about 3.5 inches by my tape measure anyways. While installing ORD's front shackles today I noticed that it didn't take much to lift the front in the air. Couldn't believe that the shocks held it up that bad. Took them off and springs really droop. Any body have an idea about a longer throw shock? I have a set of Rancho 5001 for a 6" lift and there was NO difference in the length. Please post any info.

Thanks,
    David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

2. charliel

charliel Registered Member

I was reading somewhere about a shock relocating bracket that enables you to use your current shocks. It just moves your attaching point down an inch or two...if thats all you need. All long as you've got extra shock when your tire is stuffed into the fender you might as well use it. Didn't look hard to rig up yourself. Sorry don't remember the site. BTW are you stationed at EAFB? Saw the tag and DoD sticker.

77 Jimmy High Sierra

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I saw a K5 with 23" of wheel travel he was running RS9102, I don't know if he relocated his mounts but it looks like they would work on yours.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it!

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Hey Dave,

You gett'n rid of the Rancho's? How much you want for 'em? Would your recommend them for a 4" lift? I found a deal on the RS 5K's @ $9 each but someone said they were too stiff.

On top of that, I found both front shock mounts broke and can't find a place to buy those. Dealer item? Where to look?

Thanks for the help,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Well guys I wouldn't even give away those old Rancho's for my 4" lift. They are too old I installed them in 94 and they are pretty well shot. I did put the Rancho 5000's for a 6" lift in the rear and haven't installed the front yet. They are sitting on my work bench. Not sure what I'm gonna do with em yet. The rear has plenty of flex but the shocks holding up the front is not gonna work for me. I will research about how to relocate these or buy some different shocks for the front. If I buy new ones my neighbor has already claimed these. Dave I'm not sure what to do with your front mounts. I would not recommend the Rancho 5000 series shocks to anyone. I've had three sets now and haven't been impressed by any of them.

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I have 2 Procomp 3000 shocks that have less than 200 miles on them. It's a long story but if you want to pay for shipping, I'd just give them to you. Should fit your 4".

Here's the measurements

Compressed:
    16"

Expanded:
    26 1/2"

I have 4 longer Procomp shocks but this guy was suppose to send me a check for them yet I haven't seen it. I'll probably wait another week.

Shawn
    87 K5

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

In LMC's catalog they have shock mounts listed.
    Of course, now I can't find my copy to confirm this...I believe the web address for them is www.lmctruck.com. If that's not it, it's close enough to search for.

Semper Maintenance!

8. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

THANKS! I got my catalog right in front of me, they're on pages 94-95 but they only list left hand. Don't think that matters much, you'd just flip 'em around.

Thanks Again,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

9. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Dave, this may sound silly or redneck like but I used Rancho 9000 off of a 6" lift for a 1 ton. The shocks on a tonner mount below the axles so they are a little longer than those of say a 1/2 ton. I would have to take em' off again to measure the travel but that is about as long as you are gonna get for a real shock! Long travel shocks have smaller rod and are lesser quality. Hope this helps. Todd