Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock Therapy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Effyoo, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Effyoo

Effyoo Registered Member

Sep 26, 2001
    While underneath my new 88 Jimmy, I noticed that there is a bracket attached to the frame where the top of a second shock would be mounted. I know that some of these trucks got dual shocks in the front. I didn't see a lower mount. Did all of the K5's in this year range come with the top bracket for a 2nd shock, but no lower one if the truck wasn't so equipped? What determines which trucks got single and dual shocks?

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...Those who can count, and those who can't"
  2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Jul 15, 2001
    I believe taht the bottom of the second shock mounts on the same bolt as the first shock...just a longer bolt or whatever is used I dont think its what years i think it was just a factory option...I dont believe mine has the second bracket inplace but i have heard its nothign to get the equipment and mount it up......one other thing I have also heard is that it stiffens the front end drastically and some people therefore prefer single over double

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BowtieBlazer on 10/16/01 11:11 PM.</FONT></P>
  3. I have a 89 K5 that had factory quad shocks up front. When I put my lift in, I went with 2 shocks instead of the 4 up front. I think having 4 shocks up front will make it too stiff unless you use an extremely light duty shock for the other 2 up front. The bottom bolt is longer and has a spacer to keep the shock bottoms spaced apart.

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!