Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Element, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

The Blazer I just bought has some shock issues. It's currently got Heckethorn (believe that's right) shocks on it, and rides like it's got marshmallows on all the corners. I want to upgrade the shocks to either Rancho or Bilstien shocks, but I'm not 100% sure on how to determine what shocks I need, since the truck has roughly an 8" lift on it. Summit Racing splits their shocks up into 5-6" and 9-12", and I thought it would be better to go with a higher lift, rather than a shorter one (so I don't beat the shocks up if I extend it all the way). However, the only thing they show in the 9-12" category are Skyjacker shocks. Not sure how those compare to the Bilstien and Rancho stuff.

Also, I want to upgrade the steering stabilizer, but I'm not sure if I should go with a single or a dual. Summit's website says single up to 35", which is what the K5 currently has on it, but I'll be going with 39s as soon as I get my body lift on. Only question I have about a dual setup, like the Rancho RS5000 setup, is if it'll simply bolt up in place of the stock single stabilizer shock, or if any work needs to be done to it to get it to fit.

2. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

For shocks I'd reccomend the Bilstein 5100 (Unless money isn't an option then the 5150s are awesome) Just measure how long they need to be at full droop, and full compression and call them up. Tell them your measurements and they'll hook you up.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

i would go with Bilstien. Heckthorn Pro comp, Rancho are pretty much all the same shocks Made by Monroe

4. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Bilstiens sound good then.

On the stabilizer thing - what's required to convert the stock setup to a dual-shock setup? The ones on Summit don't look like they'll fit without modification, since they show u-bolts as mounting hardware.