Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock tower question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

For all those that are running them. Right now the burb is running 33's with procomp 3000's and a 4" lift. Pretty soon I'm going to be going to a 6" lift and installing the ford towers with DT's.

What I'm trying to figure out is when the time comes that I get either 35's, 36's or 37's, will the placement of the towers now with the 33's be a problem when I go to the bigger tires?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

Set your towers up so that they'll be about 1/2" from closed at full compression. This will allow maxiumum droop.

Tire clearance is dependant on your fender hacking. If the tires don't fit, the only thing that is going to change that is cutting the metal away from your tires, or installing bumpstops.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

So tire size won't make a damn bit of difference?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It will for clearance, but no, for the shock towers, they should be set up the same way reguardless in my opinion. If you're expecting to use all the travel your truck has available, you're going to have to cut your fenders MORE with the bigger tires. Figure that no matter what size the tire, the suspenion is going to work the same, it will travel up until it hits the bumpstops, and it will travel down until the shock bottoms out unless another force stops it (if your spring eye hits the frame under compression, for example, your truck won't flex any further).

I would say tire size has nothing to do with where you mount your shock mounts unless you want your shock to be your bumpstop on the up side, which I'd say is a very bad idea.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I just set mine so the shocks would be pretty close to bottomed out when the axle hits the bump stop.
    That way they wont be the limiting factor during droop.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They are going to be the limiting factor in droop anyway unless something else is.

Due to my long ass shackles, my shocks bottom out long before the springs run out of travel.

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im running ORD shackles with Superlift 4" springs. I think the spring/shackle is going to limit my droop.
    Actually, I just hacked off the bottom of the tower, where it starts to bend out and pretty much aligned that at the bottom of the frame.

Standard pictures on my 88 link

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

when you trim the bottoms off your towers leave about 1/2-3/4" so if need be you can move the tower after the new lift goes on.

9. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

where did you get the ford shock mounts /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    where did you get the ford shock mounts /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the Ford dealership. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif