Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shock valving questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Sep 16, 2001.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK, I was doing a seach for Doetsch Tech shocks and got sidetracked and ended up on Bilstiens site...[​IMG]
    I'm sure the Bilsteins are spendy, but in there shock spec charts they list shock valving specs...
    If you have a minute check the link...<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bilstein.com/products/6100specs.html>Bilstein Shock Specs</a>
    Can anyone explain what the valving numbers mean? Is it similar to spring rate? (lbs to compress the spring one inch...)

Thanks in advance!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think you are on the right track. Never messed with valving numbers except for drag racing with 90/10 and such.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. tRustyK5

I've heard of 90/10 shocks...and I think that refers to % of damping for compression and rebound. I figure the more I know about this crap the more informed a choice i can make with shocks next time. I like the sounds of the Doetsch Tech's that Pugley just got, but having a number to compare would help.

Rene

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I don't know forsure, do you think it might be some kind of fluid flow rate.
    Like;
    178 GPM (or something) comprestion
    60 GPM reboud

I bet Stephan Watson would know, he's a roundy round guy too, I think.

<font color=green>989</font color=green>

We will stand strong!
    <font color=blue>AMERICA!</font color=blue>

5. tRustyK5

Well I doubt its gallon's per minute...but it might be something like that...[​IMG]
    Kind of an ambiguous spec...

Rene

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I don't remember exactly how the numbers work or are acquired, but it has something to do with the rate of rebound/compression compared to travel of the piston.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda thinking along yours and Wayne's line of thought. Shoot Bilstein an email; see if their techies will give you a straight answer.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

8. tRustyK5

I'd love to send them an email...but the only contact info they provide is telephone numbers. I might try that tomorrow during business hours.

Rene

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I spent a good time on the phone with Bilstein gathering the same type of questions. The valving refers to the separator inserts within the shock. The inserts completely separate the 2 chambers within the shock and the valving number refers to the cumulative size of the openings in this sepperator which allow fluid to pass from side to to the other on compression or . Apparently it can be difficult to get this right without a road test, which is why they calculate a rough estimate on your initial valving, then give you a free revalve after to hopefully get it right. The single chamber with reservoir run around $150 on up. I have a few friends with desert trucks running these and they swear by them. Haven't seen any rock crawlers running them yet though.

What, Me Worry?

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Best Bang for the Buck, Rancho RS9000 !

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

For the buck, yes. But they fatigue too fast under heavy abuse, especially with big tires.

What, Me Worry?

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Shocks are the most complex component on a suspension, and one that I have a hard time getting a really good handle on as far as actually tuning them to work in all the different situations we get into. But, what I know is that a lot of shock companies have their own proprietary terminology for valving comparison between shocks that usually relates to the parts in them. Basic units for damping SHOULD be force/shaft velocity. Basically, the faster the shaft goes, the more force you get. That's why it's kind of funny to see the term "velocity sensitive valving" used in shock ads. DUH, they're all velocity sensitive!
    There's a lot of ways to mess with the valving, they use pop-off valves so damping force levels off at a certain velocity, orifice valves give increasing rates with velocity and mix and match them to do what you want.
    Then you get into the serious desert guys using the bypass shocks that can adjust damping with orifice size control when the shock piston is between the ends of the external tube. This means you can make the shock really soft for little bumps and make them really stiff in bump and/or rebound when the suspension is near full compression. I know the King Shock guys spend time with high speed video cameras measuring trophy trucks at speed to see just what's happening to them. I think if I had to work somewhere else for a while, their shop would be a top choice. Shocks are pretty fun, very challenging!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

13. tRustyK5

Thanks Stephen...it would seem the more I learn the more I feel I don't know. I was just looking for a way to compare valving as published in the Bilstien 'catalog'. Those numbers are great but they don't tell me anything.

I guess I'll have to break down and call them.

Rene

14. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I thought that the numbers were inches/ second the shaft will travel. I think that is it, and the first number is comression and the second number is the rebound. Like the 90/10 drag shocks. The 90 is on the compression side so the car can rise quickly and the 10 is so that it will settle slowly. I think that is right but I could be wrong. Atleast that is how someone explain it to me. If anyone really would like to try some bilstein shocks I have two that I bought for my blazer but since it was stolen the shock are setting on the shelf at my shop. They are 14" travel shocks and the are for the front end. They are 5100 series. If you look at my web page you can see them. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com/photo.html>http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com/photo.html</a>

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

15. tRustyK5

What are they worth? I'm sorta afraid to ask...[​IMG]

Rene

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

They are $70 each. If you want to try them out, I would send them to you.

Donovan

17. tRustyK5

If i find another job this week I might snag those off of you. Did you buy those for the front? Obviously at 14" of travel I'll need custom mounts but that won't be a problem.

Rene

18. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Yes they was for the frontend.

Donovan

19. Ron

Ron Registered Member

Donovan,I may be interested in the shocks and any other parts please e-mail me with prices. Thanks Rob

20. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Ron I want $70 each for the shocks. I have two of them.

Donovan