Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shock ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88burb, Dec 12, 2004.

1. 88burb

88burb Registered Member

i just put a 14bolt ff out of a 78 1 ton 4x4 in my 88 suburban and my shocks hit the axle tube and i cant mount them can i turn my shock upside down just until i can weld new shock mounts on i have skyjacker hydro shock anyone know ??????

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you can run it without shocks if you had to but it will be a little bouncy.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

what kind of shocks are you running. Each shock and each manufacturer recommends different things for thier shocks. If you do a little looking into different shocks you will find out how they recommend them being mounted, or you can call them and ask (my preferred method).

I personally would prefer to run all of my shocks with the bottle up and the piston down... less weight on the axle side and I think they look better... but thats only when running a boot and obviously opinions will vary.

4. 88burb

88burb Registered Member

ya i could run it without shocks but its my dd and my work is 30 miles one way i have seen people run shocks upside down but just wanted to know for sure if it was ok to do !!!!!

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have run no rear shocks on my K5 for over 2 years. It is pretty much a DD. I say turn the shocks over for now and call it good. I know you can run Rancho 9000's upside down, but I think they recommend against running RS5000's that way. I am not sure why, but each shock is different.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My drivers side rear shock has been upside down since spring , I haven't noticed any problems yet , although I really should grind the edge of the springplate , it will scratch the shock body when flexin' . Hers an early pic of the originla lift shock on it before I put the gabriels on :k5: :k5:

[​IMG]