Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocking, isn't it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Feb 26, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i did a search and didn't really get the answers that i wanted
    i have an 82 k-5 4inch lift..factory dual shocks up front.
    i need new shocks, i have ran the rancho 5000 and curently have the pro comp 3000 and i don't like eaither shock, what do you guys reccomed? for now i don't want to modify anything, just want to run them in the factory spot.also when it comes to the factory dual shocks up front, both the rancho and pro comps have to wide of a shock body and i had to run one shock upside down to get it to fit, and i know that this pretty much makes it useless...i know some shocks can be ran upside down, gas chargered i think..but not these. whats a nice shock to run, that will fit my factory mounts..is a daily driver, but the roads here are full of pot holes, plus i run in the snow alot, and some minor rock climbimng, mainly very rough and bumpy trails

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

monotubes can be run upside down.. just run some singles up front.... Bilstein 5100's are nice....i have the factory duals and i'll just be going to a single 5100 when i lift it next month...

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i've heard of bilstiens..but have been told that yes they are good, but they are very stiff and with the weight of our trucks they make for a very harsh ride on the street..is this true?

4. ryoken

never heard that... but i don't have firsthand experience with em... everyone i've spoken to raves about em... :D

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ditch the shorter of the 2 front shocks. This will make it ride nicer and cost less when you go to get new shocks.

Harley

7. ryoken

8. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    I see Jekbrown already has a set of these. Aren't the a little too long even if you use F-250 towers? It would seem you would need at least an 8 inch front spring for these to work. Correct me if I am wrong but these guys say that 5 inches of shaft showing is ok...that just doen'st make sense to me. I would think you would want to mount them with as close to half of the shaft showing as possible for max performance. Does this make sense? He stated that they have 13's coming soon, I think these would work great with a 6 inch front spring and f-250 towers. Let me know if you think I am crazy...Matt

9. ryoken

actually i figured the 11's would be what i need for my setup.. hopefully they'll be out when i need to order some...

10. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    Ryoken,

What springs are you planning on running?

11. ryoken

4" EZ rides up front with a 0 rate and 4" 56's out back with a 2 1/2 flip.. with the Ford towers...

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Lee at Raceshock.com can build hybrid Bils 7100's for less than what 7100's go for, and set up the valving for your application. You can get them with either SRE/Uniball ends or with poly bushings. As I recall he can build them in 8", 10", 12"', and possibly 14"' strokes. The one thing you can't get with these shocks is a reservoir, but I doubt that many here actually need them. WANT them is another story. :)

I think the "harsh ride" comment comes from someone who had KYB's and knew that they were high pressure gas is extrapolating their ride to Bils, which are also high pressure gas. Nothing could be further from the truth.

13. ryoken

another good link.. thank ya sir :waytogo:

hmmm, i see he lists a 5125.. wonder what the dif between those and 5100's is.. or if 5125 is just the designation for a custom app 5100...

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Ditto. I think my Blazer rides nicer without the duals. I'm running the Tuff Country shocks that came with the lift, the SX 8000 and I'm happy.