Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocking... & ...Speedo Gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Nov 23, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

What shocks are you running?

I just got through swapping my back axle and going to start the front tomorrow. I am going to replace the shocks and I am wondering if the high $$$ are worth it. Do those shocks make that much of a difference on a K5 dinosaur?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

they do on mine

bilstien 5125's for the rear and Sway A Way emulsion front. rides like a dream, well, as dreamy as a blazer can.

at the least, bilstien's all the way around will make a difference.

3. AZ79K5Project

Wholly Sh!t. That's like $600.00 in shocks. :eek1::eek1::eek1: Is that right? That's 1/4 of what I paid for my whole truck.

You've got more into your suspension than what I bought my truck for.

I'm still running stock axles with "new" gearing. 3.08 to 3.73 on 33's. I am running a very mild trail truck.

What else are you guys running?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got Pro Comp es3000 on front , that are really 4 inch rear kit shocks .

Rear I got the long travel Gabriels from the "zone" .

Both shocks came from same manufacturer anyway , look the same , feel the same , ride the same .

Cheap too , you can do Gabriels front and rear . Forget about the ride . Why spend 600 bucks to make a truck attempt to ride like a car ( not a dig on anyone , I am just cheap ) . Its a truck , if its too hard your too old ( also not a dig on anyone in this thread , I just like truck ride ) :thumb:

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got gabriels up front (4" lift rear shocks) and procomp es3000 i think, whatever model procomp they are, they are 15" travel

6. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I got the $19 each Edelbrocks from Summit and they rock...

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have some shocks on the front that are just there to hold the brake lines away from the tires. They have no fluid left in them so that is all they do.

In the rear I don't have any because the Navy does not pay me near enough to live in SoCal and have anything left over after bills.

After I get the Backbone and Wraper installed from DIY4x I will be running BBCS shocks in the rear. I might do the same in the front, not decided yet though.

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I have what the PO installed: A pair of Gabriels on the rear and a quad of Gabriels on the front. When I lift it I'll put something else on (maybe Bilstiens if I have the $$$, otherwise more Gabriels :deal:).

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put gabriels on the back of my K5. what a difference, the old ones were shot. now to do the fronts. it will probably ride like its only 15 years old instead of 22.:rolleyes:

10. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

anyone heard of poly performance. i heard about em somewhere on here a while ago. supposed to be a high quality shock for a good price and can get em valved for you application.

11. AZ79K5Project

What a Thanksgiving...:doah: I switched out my back axle from the 3.08 to another with the 3.73 on Thursday morning. I thought I had all the parts I needed. WRONG...

Ever hear of a parking brake something something spring? Its the rectangular spring that goes on the bar in between the two brake shoes. It doesn't work well in 5 pieces. Parking brake cable spring - broken. The truck sat on jackstands overnight. HOA is ticked. Oh well.

That spring is the only one NOT in the spring kit from Napa. NO ONE has the f'n spring. Paid another $20.00 for the dealer spring kit. Between the two kits, complete rebuild of the brakes.

I love the new gearing. I went with Rancho's RS5000. They were already on back axle with worn our Gabriels on the front.

This week - replace seals in replacement front axle and put it the lockright. Next weekend, front axle swap.

Anyone see or have experience with an external gear for the speedo? My truck has one attached to the x-fer case for the stock gears and 33 tall tires. (At least that's what I think it is). P1010367A (Large).jpg

P1010367A (Large).jpg

12. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i think you are thinking about the BBCS shock. they are specifically valved for rocks and are pretty nice. they run at $100 a piece, but cannot be "valved for app." anything that can be specifically valved or revalved is gonna be spendy. I think the best bang for your buck is the bilstein 5125's I got 2 for $175.

as far as PolyPerformance---they are top notch in what they sell and in tech. very knoweldgeable and willing to talk till you understand. i have bought a few parts including my SAW's and go to them first if I am looking for something.