Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shockingly shocked shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshkbomb, Feb 6, 2007.

1. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

So after 2 years and 14,000 miles the Doetsch DT8000's I put in the front my stock '87 Blazer are crying for mercy. They both lost their bumpstops about a year ago and one of them has a bushing so loose my mechanic spoke softly and my friend thought my truck was falling apart when we went to get a movie. (But then again, everybody I know seems to think my truck is about to explode. I don't get it, this truck's awesome.) :D I think the bumpstop's being gone was because the length of the shaft between the bumpstop and the body of the shock was only about 1.5in when I installed them. I didn't know any better at the time so I drove them.

Is there any way to save them or is it time to get a new pair? Because the rear Doetsch's still seem new, I almost considered buying another pair but with the fitment issue with the first set (along with some customer service issues) I decided against it. I've searched but I can't find anything recent on the subject of good cheap sub $50 shocks. So a shout-out for a good shock would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

2. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

there are alot of decent sub $50 shocks out there just to name a few...

Pro Comp- (ES1000 $26)(ES2000 $30)(ES3000 $33)(ES9000 $35)
    Rancho- (RS5000 $45)
    Skyjacker- (nitro 8000 $40)(hydro 7000 $33)

These arnt the top of the line shocks but, they are not the bottom of the bucket eather.

i got the prices out of the 4 Wheel Parts 2006 catalog.

3. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

I guess I'll go with the Pro Comp ES9000. I like variable valved shocks.

I was also told (this and the shock issue were revealed by my mechanic investigating a clunk when I stop) that my leaf spring isolator pads are gone and that I should replace them. I didn't know that these even existed and I can't find them on the Autozone/Checker/Napa sites. Where can I get these and do I even need them?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Prolly a dealer only part. Think I have a box of beat up ones somewhere from my 52/56 project, yours for the postage if you want 'em.

Me, I'd use teflon or UHMMMWGWGFGFDE tape (can you tell I can't remember what it's called? Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene, or some crap.) Or nothing at all.

-- A