Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks and brake lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Mar 25, 2004.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

I just got my 6" BDS springs, im picking up a steering arm from a friend and now i just need shocks and brake lines. I got some brand new Fabtech shocks from my friend for free, but they are from his 95 chevy 1500, and they are 2 different sizes, i think 2 were from the front and 2 were from the rear. The rears have like 14" of travel and then the front have about 10 1/2". My question is how much travel is needed for a 6" lift, and is the front and rear the same, i have dual in the front but i only plan on putting single up front. I have a 3inch on there now, can i still use those shocks until i get new ones? My second thing is how long to my brake lines have to be? Is it worth getting steel cables or just cheap ones from the local auto parts store?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lots of questions here...

on the brake line issue, I run procomp stainless lines and like them a lot. They really arent very expensive at 4WPW.

on the shock issue, good idea only running a single shock on each side up front... with modern shock tech, duals really arent needed unless you're doing some crazy desert racing washboard stuff or something. Length of the shocks, I dunno, after you put the lift on, just measure... that'd be the best way to know for sure because every rig is a little different. IMO, once you start lifting a rig and stuff its time to custom mount shocks... doesnt have to cost a lot, ford shock towers are cheap and work well. I never took a measurement for my DT8000 shocks... just got the longest ones they made and mounted them at the height of my choice. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lastly, do searches, this kinda stuff is covered a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Front brake hose:
    These ones are for the left front of a 1994 2wd 1 ton and are around 25" long. $13.99 at Advance Auto. Napa wants $16.69.
    Tru-Torque (Advance Auto): H38873
    Napa: H38873
    Bendix: 78227
    Raybestos: BH38873
    Wagner: F124600

Rear brake hose:
    Napa #4138068. It is $13.99

Shocks are a tricky subject. Some people have preference over others. I recommend going to the auto parts store, asking for the shock book, and look through the pages to find one that is the right length for your application. For my truck with a 4" lift, I ended up running some Gabriel shocks that are 27.25" long in the rear and stock rear shocks in the front in the auxilary shock position (of the quad shock setup). You're going to want a shock about 30" long in the back if I remember correctly. Not a whole lot of them out there either.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

G63438 Gabrials, 30" long, 12" travel

I have them at all four corners. $20 each and lifetime warranty.

5. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

thanks alot

6. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is for 4" or 6" lift???

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is for 4" or 6" lift???

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 6" of lift, the book says that they're for 4". I have ford towers up front and stock style mounts in rear.