Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks and my new suspension setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

As of now I have Rough Country 4" front lift springs and 1" zero rates, and 80's ford shock towers sitting in my room. Very shortly I will have an Echobit flip (which nets 5.5" of lift). I don't plan on using the zero rate to more the axle foward. I plan on keeping my rear shock mounting locations stock for the time being, due to funds.

I have a line on a set of shocks at a VERY VERY nice price, but they're for an 8" lift kit. They measure as follows:

Extended Collapsed
    Fronts: 23 1/4" 16 1/2"

Rear: 26 1/2" 21

Now I can get a set of these shocks, or if I want I can get 4 of the rear 8" lift shocks for the rear only.

So, what should I do? I was thinking I might can actually take the ones meant for the front, and use them in the rear, and use the longer ones for the rear up front with the ford sock towers. Or maybe I can use the 4 ones meant for the rear in all 4 corners??

Or would the ones for meant for the rear fit out back, even though I'll only have 5.5" of lift back there, and its meant for 8"?

ideas???

thanks,
    James

2. 78Suburban

so will these shocks work with my suspension setup that I'm planning on? Or is there some other length that I need?

3. 78Suburban

ttt
    I'm all ears people :D

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

sweet no more stock suspension pics!

:)

as for the shocks, lift it with the echo bit, and try the shocks out, see if they are near bottoming out or not, if you have to fab up or buy a shock relocator, I thing DIY4X sells one nice piece for the price, but a piece of a angle iron and a drill can accomplish the same task. If you beat on it relocating them in the begining can save you from breaking a frame in half back there or tearing out the shock mount.

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

typically, when you use ford shock towers in the front, you use a set of same lift, rear shocks. I would not use the 8" shocks because they are too long. Get 4 rear shocks for 6" lift and call it done.