Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks and tires.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badzr2, Mar 18, 2002.

1. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

couple of quick questions.
    1) shocks - single or dual? I have a 90 suburban with the factory quad front shocks. I think I'm going to upgrade to some rancho 5000's. So should I keeps the quads or not?

2) the sub is stock, but those wheelwells look awfully big. Could 33's fit? I have 31's and I've seen stock trucks on 32's. Whats another inch?

Thanks

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if you tow or do a lot of highway miles keep the duals, over then that take em off.
    And 32's will fit and even 33's will fit with the right rim

3. René

René 1/2 ton status

I have this constellation and it functioned very well. With the original steel rims I can drive even without sway bar. With rims with large backspace, the tire touches something the rear corner of the front fender.

For the quadshocks I could determine still no necessity.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If you go with the 5000's, go with the single shock. Two 5000's are stiff.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

rs5000s are ok for on-road use, but to stiff IMO for wheelin. You might look at some Doetsch Techs...

J

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Run narrow 33's (10.5") on proper backspaced wheels (stock) and you *probably* won't have any problem.

I've got stock 3/6 leaf front/rear springs, and I can NOT make the 33x10.5's rub, since the suspension is so stiff. Besides, the narrow tire cuts down on the clearance issues when you are turning, which is the actual problem, not straight line.

Most tire shops I talked to agreed to let me "test drive" the tires on the truck, and return them immediately if they rubbed. You can check it in a garage with a floor jack though too. Jack up front axle on one side, as close to tire as possible, and turn the wheel.

Most places can get, or have, the BFG AT or MT's in the 33x10.5r15 size, so availability shouldn't be a problem either.