Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks? asked before but need to be refreshed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Feb 15, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

what kinda shocks does the majority of you run, superlifts shocks suck, sorry but i run them and they suck, what are some good shocks, i dont want the rancho 9000 that you air up, and i dont want remote resovore shocks, but need good ones, also do boots help, or hurt, dirt gets in there right? but on my blazer in the rear i shocks are rusted with out them and they have only been on there for 5 months? what do i do in the futur to fix this prob /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Doestch Tech shocks seem to be real popular around here. Bilsteins would also be a good choice. As for the 9000's, you don't have to air them up, you can keep the manual adjusters.

Lose the boots. They will keep mud and grime inside and tear the shock up. As for the rust, don't know what to tell ya. I rusted up my new 9000s driving through three winter storms last year, the crap was hard on them.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

from what I have seen, general consensus is...

DT8000s: if you want a beefy shock with lots of travel that is soft and NOT expensive (just $35 a pop)

RS9000s: if u use your rig for lots of different poop and want the adjustability of 'em.

Bilstiens: if you're rich and want some of the best shocks money can buy.

me, I have DT8000s. Like the travel... like how soft they are, like how beefy they are, LOVE the price.

j

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Bilstiens: if you're rich and want some of the best shocks money can buy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Look at the 5100s, they are only about $60 a pop. It's the other models that start to get pricey, but that's because Bilstein makes mono-tube shocks, which are better than the mass majority of DTs, Ranchos, what have you.

5. jekbrown

i was thinking more of the 9100 series bilsteins....

i try to avoid any shock series with the number 5 in... must be the trauma from running Rancho RS5000s for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

must be the trauma from running Rancho RS5000s for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've got that trauma too.

7. jekbrown

lol! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif i didnt have a big budget for shocks and the guys at 4wp ( /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif ) sure thought they were great so i got a set when i got my 4" lift waaaaay back in the day. If you thought RS5000s were stiff... you shoulda tried it with dual shocks up front!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

at any rate, we can all agree on two things. a) bilstein makes very high quality stuff, some of which is pretty spendy and b) france is only good for 2 things, women and surrender. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

b) france is only good for 2 things, women and surrender.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm so pissed at France right now, I refused to eat french bead when I went to dinner earlier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack, but:

Why should we send the French to Iraq?

To show them how to surrender properly!

Oh yeah Bilstiens (sp) 5100's are what I am getting.

Just remember when you think of France, think cheese eating surrender monkeys! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jekbrown

way back in the day (think late 18th century) the French were good people... freedom loving and all that jazz. They even helped us a little vs the English in the revolution. Since then however it seems that all those GOOD french guys got killed off by those wily germans in dubya dubya 1 and 2. France has been a waste of space ever since. Like my dad said back in 1985 when they wouldnt let us fly over france to bomb libya &lt;bellowing dad voice&gt; "next time the germans go to take France... LET EM HAVE IT!" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What are the DT8000s? I'm liking hte sound of these. Gonna build the next rig to be a real nice rider as well as capable. Are they Doetsch shocks?

12. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

On the Bilstein 5100's those shocks are not very good IMO. BUt I do think they are better then the DT or ranchos for the reason that you can order them with different valving not just 50/50 or 60/40 which (i could be wrong) but is what I understand that rancho and dt gives you. THe reason I don't like them is that they are not rebuildable. If you stepped up to a bilstien 7100 with a schrader valve then sure its going to run you about 105 a piece but they can be completely rebuilt. Though on a truck as heavy as ours I would recommend either 2 7100's with schrader valves or a single with a resevoir. You just have to remember that these (bilsteins 5100,7100, rancho, and dt) are all 2.0 shocks and will fade really early on the trail. If you ahd the cash and wanted a truely awesome shock (also what I run on my race truck) I would get the sway away 2.5" dia race runner shocks. They are completely rebuildable and it takes maybe 10-20 minutes to change the valving (in your garage - where bilsteins you have to have a shop rebuild) and you can completely change the rebound/compression and do flutter stacks to get away from shock fade while on long runs. Makes your ride very predictable - more so then it is now.

Sorry for the long post, but finally on this board I have something to contribute. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif