Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks for axle wrap???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5trucks, Mar 10, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Saw a vehicle today that had a bracket welded to the top of the rear spring plate and it had a shock mounted horizontaly to it. It had a clevis on one end and that mounted to another bracket welded to the frame. Asked him what it was for and he said axlewrap. Never seen anything like it and wondered if anyone had any good pics of this done. He said you have to use a really stiff shock and mount the shock about 6" above the axle tube. Looked cool and if it works it would be really easy to fab up. Any one have pics???

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Ford actually put extra shocks on the back of some fox-body era mustangs in just that setup. In theory it sounds like it might work, but in practice, it just slows down axle wrap, not eliminate it.

3. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Ford also put it on some Explorer models, but it was mounted from the shock crossmember to the pinion. Google that sh*t b/c it looks like a decent design.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Rancho used to sell something like that. They still might. Called them Kicker shocks. I've never seen a set actually on a vehicle or talked to someone that has used them though. All the ads I've seen are straight out of the 80's but I know I've seen them advertised within the last couple years.

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my buddy has a set on his short bed and swears they work...i dunno looks like extra non usefull weight to me...

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My truck had those "kicker" shocks you guys are talking about. But that was with the old suspention that was on 4" blocks. I bought the truck like that and must have been a very old Rancho lift. I was forced to replace the entire suspention and so I went with 4" all spring lift and I actually had less axel wrap than before with the "kicker" shock setup. Of coarse reading this thread just now I realize why there was shocks mounted over the rear springs... It didn't help that those shocks where as old as the rest of the suspention and all of them were totally shot. But I still have the brackets on the spring hangers. I threw away the brackets for the spring perches though...