Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks, how necessary are they?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Jan 7, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i have yet to reweld my rear shock mounts cause im running a 14 bolt. is it ok to drive the truck for like 2-5 miles to the welding place w/o running shocks in the rear? just takin some precautions before i drive out there.

phill

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

in my opinion I would say go for it..I drove my Jimmy for 2 days before I got the rear shocks finally put on.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it should be ok, watch the speed and specially the bumps. get ready for a bouncy ride.

oh yea and don't tap on the brakes too much when you are coming to a stop. you may give the low rider homeboys beside you some competition.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

i think youll be surprised at how "normal" its rides w/o shocks.. I have pretty heavy springs on mine but after I installed my lifted I drove it w/o shocks for a while.. hard bumps was really only where I noticed it, it wanted to keep bouncing.... definately not unsafe to drive especially if you're not abusive

mike

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i did it for a month......then put some gabriel red ryders on.....road like a dream, just don't wheel too hard with those you'll jut break them right out of the frame....

hola

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Well...in the Feb. '02 4Wheel &amp; Off-Road, there's a '74 K-10 running a 502 Mark IV motor with a 250 hp. nitrous kit and 38.5 boggers with no rear shocks? YIKES!?

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dunno about power units but shocks are not legally required with leaf springs on a trailer

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You will be fine without the shocks for a little while. I drove my old 454 Jeep without shocks for 2 years. Was a bouncy ride and I always said, "I need to get shocks on this." But, I never did get around to it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs