Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks in an offroad only vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Aug 19, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Who with, offroad only vehicles run shocks? wouldit severley limit travel? wouldit be smart to take them off?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

driving with no shocks is dangerous, not to mention they help keep the tires planted for more traction.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Um no. Shocks control the spring action and if you have never driven a vehicle without shocks, it's a hoot.

As for limiting travel, yes, but that's why a person fabricates mounts and does all the studying in the world so they can setup the shocks in a way that they will limit wheel travel very little.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You can get away with not running rear shocks, but running them in the front is a smart idea or you'll be bouncing around. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well after wheeling with a guy with no rear shocks in his k5 last week I can honestly say you need all 4 corners! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He was bouncing all over and had tons of wheel hop...

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Shocks are an integral part of the supsension which control the movement of the springs. Properly mounted shocks should not limit travel.

When I first installed my 14FF I test drove the truck before remounting my rear shocks...all I can say is that it was almost undriveable and had severe axle wrap under both mild acceleration and braking.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I haven't had rear shocks in my K5 for over a year now. My upper shock mounts are trashed and I haven't had a chance to fix them the way I want to. So no shocks. It does kinda suck when you are on bumpy roads and such, but it isn't totally necessary and I don't find having no rear shocks hazardous. Just a little obnoxious sometimes.

8. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author