Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks in the wheel well parts 2

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by 55Willy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I drew up all my plans today on my lunch at work but after getting home a realizing I have a 2" body lift on top of the suspension, My shock isn't into the bed as high as i thought, so NOW...I'm thinking of.....

Should I make the shock mount off the frame(either top or side or combo of both) or should i build the mount more like Zakks and tie my spare tire carrier into the crossbar?

Also when mounting the shocks the mounts should be perp. from each other right? (90* for the rest of you)
    I could almost stick a shock stud in the fender well with a backing plate on it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-Jeremy

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't mount shocks to the body.

There are things that belong connected to the frame and things that belong on the body (above the rubber bodymount beltline, if you will). BUT rarely is it a good idea to connect items between the two areas.

I would also avoid using a "stud" which implies a single-shear connection. Double shear would be a lot stronger and less likely to be torn off in the heat of battle... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Post your sketch.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Real quick Greg, no I don't know how the bottom mounts are setup.............
    [​IMG]

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

UPDATE...change of plans...gee me? rethinking something...Never /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

the new uppers are ford towers, the lowers mount to the spring plates. I was just gonn ause two piece of angle iron back to back with the shock between it...NOW those are gonna be the stock ford lower mount off the same truck.

-Jeremy