Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks limiting front articulation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Oct 7, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I just threw in a new set of shocks on my K5...I have the dual setup in front and got 24.5" for the main and 25.5" for the aux. But I was noticing (not really sure why I never noticed before) the way the stock mounting locations are situated it really doesnt leave me with much downward movement on my springs. I havent had a prob wheeling before, but with my new tires and axles I am gonna "play" a little tougher and am worried I will be limited. Do I have anything to worry about? The shocks I got are recommend by procomp for a 6" lift and I have around 4-5" so I should be in the general ballpark I would imagine. Please ease my mind or throw a bone, ideas, or your solutions, shock lengths. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Please ease my mind or throw a bone, ideas, or your solutions, shock lengths

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 throw all four of your front shocks away. They're all too short, and you only needed two anyway.

#2 get yourself some ford F250 shock towers. The PN is in the advanced preview section. Use an air chisel to knock the rivets out of your upper mounts and throw them away. Then use 1/2" grade 8s to secure your new shock towers so you can bolt them up (this is of course after measuring your shocks, your up travel to the bumpstop and adding 1/2" or so for good measure).

#3 Go to autozone and get yourself two PN G63438 shocks. If you'd like an upgrade from that, go to www.eshock.com and get yourself a 14" travel Bilstein 5150. Or shoot me a PM and I'll get you the bad ass pro comp adjustable monotube reservoirs that I'm going to run on my own truck...they're similar in price and operation to the 5150s.

The G63438s are 18" compressed, 30" extended, 12.53" of travel, gas charged, twin tube shocks, and cost about $20 a piece (and have a lifetime warranty).

The 5150s are bigger, longer, 14" travel, high pressure gas monotube which is a far superior design, but they're about $100 each.

The Pro Comps are similar in construction to the Pro Comps. They're also adjustable, and available with remote reservoir if desired....and similarly priced.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Thats one hell of a bone. Thanks. Will try to get rid of the new ones I got and go that route. What length were you using in some of those pics on your site? Looked like the factory primary location.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats one hell of a bone. Thanks. Will try to get rid of the new ones I got and go that route. What length were you using in some of those pics on your site? Looked like the factory primary location.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that junk is now trash. There should be some good pics of my ford towers in there somewhere....let me check.

I guess not. I'll have to snap some pics of my ford towers up front and gabrials sometimes. All those pics in my webshots are quite old.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

not a real good picture but should give you an idea [​IMG]

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

7. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Sweet, thanks dude. What is the best way to figure out what length I need? Figure you just slide the ford bracket up as height as resonable and then measure? Did you have to cut the fender well at all to make clearance for the shock? Did you have to remove the fender skirt or was that just by choice? It looks like a pretty easy setup, any special angles to hit up or do you just locate at stock bracket area and point toward lower mount with the suspension sitting level? Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am gonna have to dump these new shocks of mine and do it the right way.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use stock rear shocks in the aux shock position in the front (main shock position filled with spacers). They're sufficient for my 4" BDS springs.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I use stock rear shocks in the aux shock position in the front (main shock position filled with spacers). They're sufficient for my 4" BDS springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

G63438 is a stock rear shock for a 4" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

G63438 is a stock rear shock for a 4" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Stock rear shocks are ~27" long. I used these on the front in the auxilary shock position. I don't remember the part number.

I used that Gabriel shock (G63438) which is a tad under 30" long in the rear. All four shocks cost me $80 total.

The chrome shafts on the G63438 aren't worth a [censored]. My shocks are just over a year old and most of the oil has blown out because of the seals being ruined due to rusty chrome. I'll eventually warranty them.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Gabrial and Monroe are going to be substandard when compared to something like Bilsteins...they're stock replacments.

They have a single lip seal also==aftermarket usually has three.

Fortunately they have a lifetime warranty.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here check this out Ford Shock Towers It will show You how to do it.
    Also it can be hard to get the shock towers from some of the Ford dealers so another good sorce is a wrecking yard. Just look for a 1980-98 F-250 4x4. There is only a couple bolts holding them on.