Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks On 88k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5HIGH, Dec 13, 2004.

1. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I WENT AND GOT SHOCKS THIS WEEKEND WITH MEASURING FROM MOUNTS TOP TO BOTTOM. FRONT MEASURED 20IN,BACK= 23.5IN GUY AT STORE SAID IM IN BETWEEN 4AND 6 IN LIFT iM NOT SURE JUST BOUGHT TRUCK 3 WEEKS AGO BUT THINK ITS 4IN LIFT. ANYWAYS GUY SAID IF GO WITH 4IN LIFT SHOCKS MIGHT NOT HAVE ENOUGH COMPRESSED TRAVEL? IF GO OTHER WAY W/6IN LIFT SAID TOO MUCH TRAVEL NOT COMPRESSED. I DONT PLAN ON JUMPING THE VEHICLE OVER CARS BUT WILL BE CLIMBING HILLS AND MUDDING HOW SHOULD I FIND OUT WHAT SHOCKS TO GET? BOUGHT BDS555639 =29.78 EXTENDED MEASUREMENT AND BD555620=23.12 EXTENDED MEASUREMENTS? ARE THESE THE RIGHT SHOCKS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS!

2. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

anybody out there could use some advicce!

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Does it have blocks in the rear? If so, you can always measure and see what they are. If it's 4" then that should be/most likely be, what the front is too. If it's lifted springs in the rear then it's going to be a little harder to know. A lot of people could tell by looking, but that does not really help you.

4. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

NO BLOCKS HAS THE SPRINGS. SAW ANOTHER K5 WAS AN 86 W/35S LOOKED LIKE SAME RIDE HEIGTH. i GUESS MY MAIN CONCERN IS THAT THER IS ENOUGH MOVEMENT IN THE SHOCKS? AGAIN FRONT MEASURED 20IN AND REAR 23.5IN THIS IS MEASUREMENTS WHILE TRUCK SITTING IN DRIVEWAY AGAIN NEW SHOCK MEASUREMENTS ARE FRONT 29.78EXTENDED 17.59 COMPRESSED AND FRONTS ARE 23.12 EXTENDED 14.25 COLLAPSED. THIS IS WHAT I FIGURE SUBTRACT STANDING MEASUREMENTS FROM COLLAPSED OR EXTENDED MEASUREMENTS AND THIS IS THE SHOCK TRAVEL IS IT SUFFICIENT? REAR= 6.3IN EXTENDED AND 5.9 COMPRESS FRONT=3IN EXTEND AND 5.75 COMPRESS

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If you hadnt already bought them, I would have told you to unbolt the old ones and compress the suspension as much as you could, then extend it as much as you could and measure and buy.

But, since you already have the shocks, the only real way to tell is to unbolt one end of the shock, no reason to unbolt both... and stuff the suspension... and measure the distance from shock mounting point to mounting point at fully compressed and fully extended.

Then push the shock all the way in and measure eye to eye, then pull it all the way out and measure eye to eye.

Then compare.

Thats my advice.
    :waytogo:

6. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

THANKS CHEIF I GOTTA SPLIT WORLS OVER ILL TRY TO CHK THE SITE THIS WEEKEND