Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks on top of front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Feb 1, 2007.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone running the shock on top of the front axle instead of off the back? If so do you have much axle wrap problems? Pics?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not yet, but I plan to. :dunno:

I know that moneypit has the shocks on his truggy setup that way.

I always wonder how much the shocks really help prevent axle wrap. :thinking:

3. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

In regards to axle wrap specifically, shock placement will have little or no effect. Think of what causes axle wrap -- pinion rotation -- and you'll see how a shock absorber isn't going to have an effect.
    d

4. MNorby

IMO if you put the shocks off the back of the center line of the axle say 6" then when the axles is trying to rotate the shock will try to slow it down.

5. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Well, give 'er a try then. Not going to be worth the effort, but then you'll know. :D

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have them on top of my axle......only wheeled the rig twice. Wheeled in Moab and here locally. No axle wrap noted. I will have to look for a pic later, I am on my laptop on the couch and the PC has all those pic's. It's a good 10 feet away.....lol

My friend made me some shock mounts. The one thing you would have to def do is cut the inner fender well (mine are long gone) and clear the steering shaft from the firewall.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can see where this is going quickly, but I'll dive in anyways. :)

Controlling the rate of wrap AND unwrap are both things shocks can help with. Shocks dampen immediate loads. Romping on the gas from a stop is an immediate load. If you slow down the pinions climb, and the subsequent "unwinding" of the axle, you'll reduce axlewrap. You don't get axlewrap under normal driving conditions (you get normal pinion climb if properly setup, not wrap though) where the shocks couldn't help.

However, there is certainly a reason for traction bars and the like.

No other reason for shocks to be on opposite sides of the axle, nor a reason for GM to waste money making goofy brackets and using frame locations that angle the shocks from the axle. Otherwise all shocks would be mounted vertically only to handle vertical axle motion.

Axle wrap is another of those problems (like death wobble) where very similar setups act totally different. Shocks are still sudden movement dampers though, they will attempt to slow down any force acting on them, but positioning changes the effectiveness.

8. MNorby

I am thinking more of axle wrap as is climbing something and it wanted to start wrapping and hopping. Daily driving concerns are not an issue for me.

9. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Clearly axlewrap is not an issue in street driving, unless you really like to dump it leaving stoplights.

Having broken several driveshafts before building a traction bar, offroading presents unusual challenges for softish springs. While shock placement may offer some alleviation of pinion swing, it won't be much. Hell, if you're building shock mounts anyway, give it a try. It can't hurt.

I view much like I view steering stabilizers: a bandaid. Properly set up suspensions will show almost no effects of shock placements in regard specifically to axlewrap.
    d

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I wonder in that case if they would indeed help with axle wrap even given that the above agruments are true. I would think that kind of wrap would be too slow.

I'm going to mount the tabs on the axle perpendicular to the tube and then use spacers to allow for some deflection for full droop. I'm hoping that in the rear especially, this will keep the shocks from being damaged if there is axle wrap.

11. MNorby

thing is I have some 14" travell fox 2.0 res shocks and they are huge. Clearing the steering shaft while clearing the tire at full turn could be fun but if I go straight off the top of the axle up I can clear it all easily it looks

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As mentioned, soft springs and slow loads on the springs are entirely different than axlewrap caused by just getting on the gas.

Soft springs twist easier, and slow loads are something shocks don't dampen. (like gradual corners)

Properly setup suspension is the solution to axle problems, not adding more shocks. Or we'd still see trucks with 4 shocks per corner lol.

13. MNorby

The only time i ever really encounter wrap is climbing a steep rock or something with good traction but almost too steep sometimes it will wanna hop and bounce but that may not be entirely wrap either