Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks through Floor board??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevysmithz71, Apr 24, 2007.

1. chevysmithz71

chevysmithz71 1/2 ton status

I have some 7100 Bilstein shocks that are way to long for the rear of the Blazer. I was going to use them on another truck but didn't go that way. So after seeing the build in the Petersen issue I saw that they mounted the coils to the cage. I was thinking of doing the same with my shocks. What do you guys think? Can you think of any negative views towards this.
    Pic from PETERSENS.
    [​IMG]
    Mine would only be 4-6inches out the floor, behind the seat, mounted and protected on the cage. Just want to save money and work with what I got.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think it's fine. I've seen it done several times before. It's just not practicle on a DD. But on a dedicated trail rig, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Heres another pic of another guys.

AAAA.jpg

3. txfiremank5

I guess if you wanted to get really fancy, and wanted to do it on a DD, you could always hunt down some shift boots that would fit.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:D i'm all about that idea...

5. chevysmithz71

Not going on a DD, so not worried about crap coming through. Just more the damage they might get from stuff sliding and hitting them. I know, just don't let things slid around. Now that I think about it I could put them on the inside of the cage and protect them between the rear seat. eh? eh?

Would they move around too much at the floor? I think they would move only 1/4 to 1/2 inch around the area.

6. txfiremank5

They'll move around slightly, but nothing major. There should only be some slight flex movement from axle travel and very slight side to side, I would think. You have to think about the springs, their only going to let them move so much, but there will be some. I'd just cut something like the second pic.. sort of a pill shaped hole, but nothing bigger. You might even get by with a little less length.. but you would have to see what you application needs. Since you might have more or less angle on you shocks etc. Different suspension specs and all. But it's very doable.

I like the idea a lot, hence having a pic handy.. but I still like to DD mine when I want. I guess I'm still "old school" on most things. I don't want to deal with the holes.. I still like to play in the mud as much as anything else.

7. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Get some vinyl from the fabric store/boat store and have your wife/GF/mother sew you up a shifter boot to fit over the top and keep the elements out.

8. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

do it like offroad design did it along time ago
    [​IMG]
    even if its a trail only rig cleaning **** out of the floor and inside still sucks

9. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Everytime I come up with a clever idea, somebody's already done it. I was proud of that too.

10. dreadstealth

dreadstealth Registered Member

what about mounting them at an angle like you would run shocks. have a small crossmember thing that will attach both shocks under the truck and still have coilovers.

11. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been thinking about this too. Are you guys talking about attaching to a body mounted or frame mounted cage? That is potentially a lot of force to carry in a body mounted cage, is than an issue?

12. chevysmithz71

I was planning on mounting them to the cage that would be frame mounted at that point.

My shocks that I had before I had the blazer will not work by just angleing them. They are just too long to go that route.

13. chevysmithz71

This is what I went with. Hope it works out.
    [​IMG]

14. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks great! Any more pics? That is a frame mounted cage correct? Any rubbing with the holes for the shocks that small - I would have thought the holes would need to be larger. Does it clear the rear seat? What does it look like from underneath - frame clearance, how did you mount the shocks to the axle, etc. Yikes that was a lot of questions, sorry. :)

15. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about roof pipe flashing. That's what I'm using. Very cheap at Home Depot. They worked perfect for my setup with the furd front shock towers through the bed. -Eric

16. chevysmithz71

Yeah frame mounted. Have not been able to check out the hole size for rubbing yet. Ther is about a 1/2 inch all around shock so I think it will be ok or just a little more trimming. Clears rear seat snug, angled it with rear of seat. Well they fit between the frame and wheel well and mount to the spring plate by brackets. It's good to ask questions, that's how I learn. :D

17. chevysmithz71

Could only find this one were it shows the mounting spot.[​IMG]

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

MrK5 did it and his look great. PM him.