Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks, to boot or not to boot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 9, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I know I've heard on here that shock boots hold mud and water, but would it really be ok to run a mud bogging truck with no shock boots? if the rod gets tons of thick mud caked on it, is it really a tight enough fit to not pull any mud down into the shock? I'm almost wondering if I should run boots, and maybe hose them out every so often?

thanks,
    James

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i run boots with zip ties. not much if any mud gets in there now, and i mostly mud

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I took off a set with boots and zip ties and they were completely rotted out from retaining crap inside them.

Yes, the shock seals will keep out mud and water. If they can keep in a gas charge, they can keep out solids and liquids. The boots are more for protection from rocks and things that will damage the surface of the rods. Damaged rods = damaged seals = leaking gas and fluid.

If you want to run boots, run them so they're completely open at the bottom. That way any crap that gets in can come back out. All boots have vent holes to relieve suction, so crap will always get in.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I let the dogs have them, they enjoy playing tug of war with them. I've got a pic around here somewhere...

I couldn't think of a better use for them. We get in the mud, but tend to get into some soupy stuff and will be submerged for a while. It's impossible for me to keep the mud out, zip ties or not.

And James, I can tell you that your particular shock boots do NOT extend and compress to the same lengths as your shock, so even it'd be pretty hard to keep them zip tied on. Either that or they'd tear when you fully extend. Plus they'd be trying to act like a bump stop when you're mostly compressed. Play with them a bit, you'll see what I mean.

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

The only boots I know are the ones you knock. ;)

7. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

no shock boots for me, they break easy and were holding rocks

8. muddybuddy

the boots i have are "aftermarket" haha. they are more than long enough for the shock to fully extend, i guess thats how mine work out so good

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Me too.

10. 78Suburban

Where did you get them?

thanks,
    James

11. muddybuddy

well they arent really "aftermarket" but i bought them separately from the shocks. i believe i bought them from www.rockymountainsusp.com they have got some pretty good stuff on there. i think they might have been the superlift boots, but im not sure. ill check and see if there is a name on the boots

12. 78Suburban

Yeah, if I can find some longer shock boots like that, It would be nice.. I would just feel more comfortable from keeping the shocks covered in mud.. I can open the boot and clean it pretty often. How much travel are your shocks? got any pics with the boots on?

thanks,
    James

13. muddybuddy

my rear shocks are 16" travel i believe (20-36"). they are procomp shocks. ill try to get some pics.

14. muddybuddy

i jus found some older pics of the truck flexing, i duno how well you can see the shocks tho. hope it helps some

DSCN0836.JPG

DSCN0838.JPG

15. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They really have no function except looks. It really would become a PITA to remove your boots and clean them out after wheeling in the mud/water. If you don't remove them it will rust/pit the shaft then the seals leak. Ask me how I know:crazy: I think they look better without anyway:D

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Dont put them on, more trouble than they are worth, the seal doesnt need the boot to keep crap out, it does just fine by itself. If you do put them on do like the others have said leave it loose on the bottom so the crap can get out...