Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks, what are the softest?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudGorilla, Jul 30, 2002.

1. MudGorilla

MudGorilla Registered Member

I'ver heard the RS5000 are quite soft. Anyone know of some soft shocks to go with the Tuff Country EZrides?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'ver heard the RS5000 are quite soft

[/ QUOTE ]
    From who... a crackhead? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Had Rancho 5000's before I lifted my rig,and they were stiff!Go with Procomp 3000's or Deotech, or Rancho 9000's adjustable. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have the ProComps ES3000's and they are a little on the stiff side too, not as stiff as the rancho 5000's though! Doeschtechs have a great reputation for being soft. The RS9000's can get you a relatively soft setting but the hard setting is beyond use... keep that in mind.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You are going to get answers all over the map on this one...!!!

A shock's perceived stiffness is going to depend on what spring it's damping. Case in point, I had a set of Rough Country springs on my K5 (very stiff) and installed a set of RS9000s set to "1" (full soft) and that helped to mellow out the springs. When I went to a softer spring up front, the "1" setting was too low, and now I run around "3" to "5" depending on whether I'm driving around town or on the highway. I'm still playing around with air pressures too, but that's another topic! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I do agree that the RS5000 is probably NOT the way to go, I have tried them and regretted it. If you can afford to do the RS9000s you will have the option to try 5 stiffness settings and select what works best for you. I know they're usually around $75 ea, but if you plan it right you can get the "Buy 3, Get 1 Free" deal from 4WPW which makes them only $56 ea. Not too bad for an adjustable shock!

5. MudGorilla

MudGorilla Registered Member

The RS9000s sound like the way to go. Pro comp has some new adjustable shocks out but very expensive...I think I'll go the the RS9000's.

6. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I've got the Pro Comp 3000 on my heep and the are pretty stiff, if looking for soft, try the Skyjacker Hydros. I've got 4 hydros up front and Nirtos in the back and it rides like a Caddy.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The shock needs to be matched to the spring and the weight. You shouldn't have the same stiffness shocks front and rear. Most lift kit companies virtually ignore this. They may tell you that it's "custom-tuned" for your vehicle, but chances are that it's not. The exact same parts will go on 20 different vehicles.

What you want is a critically damped system. This will give the suspension quick response with minimal bouncing. If you have either too stiff of a spring or too soft of a shock, you will get an underdamped system. This tends to overshoot and not stop travelling as soon as it should. The ultimate version of this is a car with no shocks. You've seen one before where the car hits and bump and just keeps bouncing, bouncing, bouncing or one wheel will be just flipping up and down off the freeway all day. A soft spring with stiff shock is overdamped. You won't get any bouncing, but the response is really slow, which can make it seem stiff. This is probably what you experienced if switching to a lighter shock made the ride feel softer.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Doetsch Tech DT8000s. soft and half the price of a RS9000. 13"+ of travel, beefy, built in bump stops etc. Get them from our good buddies over at www.westtexasoffroad.com /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J