Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks, which way??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grieby54, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Does it matter which end goes up when installing shocks? I've got the boot end down... does it change anything? Do I need to flip it around???

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Shock install.

As far as I know, only the Edelbrock shocks go boots down, and I think maybe the Pro-Comps do, otherwise the boots need to go up, since some of the valving inside them are gravity actuated, and being upside down would cause them to not work properly.

3. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Bilstien shock boots go down also.

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

ok... so first thing tomorrow boots go up... that's weird... my stock ones looked like the resevoir side went up... oh well... I trust you more than myself :D

5. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Yea... I have TC

6. LongIslander26

???????

What's "TC"?

7. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Tuff Country

8. LongIslander26

9. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

You don't like your carb?!?!?!?!!?!?! I have the 770 and I'm about to drop the engine into my truck that it's on!!! what's wrong with yours?

10. LongIslander26

Holley truck avenger carb

It's got a bad habit of stalling or bogging when you pull out into traffic from a dead start, and I've done just about everything I know how to get it to stop.
    Rejet, new pump cam, the floats came from the factory stuck, you name it, it's just been one thing after another. I'm ready to take the plunge and switch to fuel injection, especially living up here at 6500 feet of altitude.

11. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

it came stuck? Why not send it back and get another. Another problem is maybe it's not big enough... the 770 would be a good alternative... think I'll have any problems down here in Texas???

12. LongIslander26

Holley truck avenger carb

Actually I think it's too BIG. The air is pretty thin up here, it runs alot better down in the Phoenix area where it's only around 1000 feet above sea level. The closer you are to sea level, the better it should run, since that's what Holley calibrates their carbs at. Make sure the arm that goes from the pump cam to the pump itself is actually touching the cam, I had to bend mine forward to get it to work. The ads in all the magazines say this carb is "Just bolt on and Go!", but mines been anything but.

13. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Good thing I know exactly what you said... or I'd be very confused and worried now... :doah: I'm 17 and I'm taking a crash course in trucks by building my first... I know a lot... but not all... so could you possilby say that again in lay-men's terms?

14. LongIslander26

Carb 101

In a higher altitude, you need a smaller carb to get better throttle response. There's actually a formula to determine the proper carb size for any engine, based on engine size (350, 454, etc) and top rpm limit (Usually around 5500-6000), and then you have to figure in the volumetric efficiency of the engine (80% is a good number to use). The formulas the carb makers give assume volumetric efficiency of 100%, and that everyone is a drag racer, so your running at wide open throttle all the time. On a truck you drive everday, especially a 4X4 truck, that's just not the case, so actually the biggest carb you would ever need on a 350 or even a 383 chevy motor is around 600 cfm. I'm actually considering putting this holley carb on my 454 truck. Cam overlap is a big consideration too. The bottom line is carbs are okay if you can get them dialed in right, but the aftermarket EFI systems are all pretty basic OBD I systems that are preety easy to understand and work with. Why would you NOT want the correct air fuel ratio at all speeds, and all altitudes and weather conditions? That's what EFI gives you. It's not as ahrd and complicated as people make it out to be.

15. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

k... so with a 383 that redlines close to 6500 RPM, living in Houston, Texas. As a daily driver you would recommend the 670? (425 hp 475 ft. lbs if that matters)?

16. LongIslander26

Carb

A bigger carb would be better on a drag car, trucks need power down low, so, yes I think a 670 would give you better low end torque and quicker throttle response on your 383. Your never going to spin that motor high enough to use all the cfm the carb can flow and a smaller carb flows the air through the venturis faster, so the carb works more efficiently (More and better vaccuum signal). Like I said, all the engine builders and ads for carbs and stuff assumes everybody is a drag racer, and what may work well on a drag car isn't always what's best for a 4X4 truck, and you never see any engine build stories about "How to make 275 Hp and 425 lb/ft of torque", it's always "500 hp from a stock Small block!", and even on the dyno, the tests are done at wide open throttle, not at part throttle or off idle where a truck engine earns its bread and butter.

17. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

well will I be alright with my 770... or do you think it's a pretty big issue?

18. LongIslander26

670 or 770?

You should be alright with the 770 in Texas. If you were up here in the altitude, you'd probably see a difference. Alot depends on your cam specs and how much overlap the cam has. If you're running a lopey cam, you may have problems, because you won't be generating a lot of vaccuum at idle, so your off the line performance may be sluggish. (Which is why a smaller carb is good) Overlap of 45 degrees or below is good for idle vaccuum, which is where your lobe seperation angle comes into play, depending on what the cam duration is.

19. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Hopefully when my engine guy gives me the cam specs and other specs I can send them your way to get the desktop dyno done and you can tell me if my 770 will be alright... However, I'm pretty sure it's not too mild of a cam...a bit on the perf side... well I'm calling it a night, I really appriciate all your help bro. I'll send you an email soon as I get those specs!

20. LongIslander26

Sounds good!

Sound's good bro. I'll eyeball those cam specs and give you my "Educated Opinion". I'll keep an eye out for that e-mail too. I'll be back on here tomorrow sometime as well, probably in the late morning. :D