Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wes, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Wes

Wes Registered Member

I have a 1985 K5 and it's time for new shocks. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so I have to deal with just about every type of condition. Snow mud sand washboard roads, but it has a stock suspension and I also use it to drive the kids to school and on the highway. Any suggestions? By the way this is where all 4 wheel drives go to die. I mean it, we get an average of 250 inches of snow a year and everyone here drives a 4 wheel drive. I've never owned a car in my life. If you see a 2 wheel drive truck here you know the guy's a tourist.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I swear. I think I'm the only guy here that doesn't have Rancho shocks. Everyone loves the RS9000's. I'm sure they're good and everything, but I just wanted to be different so I got the ProComp ES3000's. They are about comparable with the RS5000 Ranchos.
    I'd say because you will be in different terrains, go with the adjustable RS9000. You'll be able to custom tune the shocks to what kind of stuff you'll be driving through.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

I have a set of the ProComp ES3000s as well and I love the heck out of them! On my previous 77 K5 I used the Ranch RS5000 and they rode like bricks, very stiff ! The 3000s give a very nice ride.

4. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Has anyone tried the new Rancho RSX's?

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Just don't try the edelbrocks. I tried a set, and they ride way too harsh. they were nice for body lean(roll), but sucked for everything else.

6. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

I'd just have to say RS5000 a stiff as hell. Next time i'll probebly be going with the 9000. Just my opinon![​IMG]

<font color=red>Chris</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79 K-5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>EMS RULES</font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

well, I've got rancho 9000's and can't wait to get rid of them.....i don't like them at all. What i want to get are the trailmaster SSV's. I had those on a 78 Bronco....yeah I know...it WAS a kick @ss truck though....anyway the suspension consisted of super stiff front coils and block and add-a-leafs out back...rather stiff sounding....but with those shocks it road like a cadillac...man i miss that truck! Oh yeah, i feel for you yuppers(spelling), I was up in copper harbor for my honeymoon talking to the locals and one lady said that they average 20 feet of snow a year....yowser....beautiful country up north though....I love it!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Well I'm looking out the window watching it snow now. If you don't drive a 4wd here then you just don't do much drivin. I just put on RS5000 2 weeks ago and love them. Of course that could be because all 4 shocks I took off were empty metal tubes. I don't think they are too harsh at all, but I do more off road than on road so I'm sure that makes a difference.

9. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I have the Rancho 5000s all around and my stabilizer is also Rancho I have a total of 6 Ranchos and I love them they ride pretty good I go off-roading they're great on the highway they're great but like everybody says that's only my personal opininon but the're cool.

keep blazin !!!

10. buttman

buttman Registered Member

I have Rancho 9000 In my oppinion I think there the best.

11. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I 've got rancho 9000 on the blazer and have been very satisified. I've got the edelbrocks on the Dodge. The edelbrocks are ok on road, but are less capable off road in comparison to the 9000's.

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well you folks have sold me on the RS9000's, and I understand about the adjustment, but what is the extra 250 guage and hose for? Is it to adjust the shocks from the cab without having to climb underneath and adjust each one individually?

13. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i put the 9012's on my rig and i love them. you just cant beat the ability to adjust the dampening of the shocks. i can go stiff for the street or soft for the rocks as well as splitting the difference front to back depending on the load im carrying. and if you are in the snow alot you definitely would want to go with the in cab controls, keep you from crawling around in the slosh to turn that knob.

14. TPI86

TPI86 1/2 ton status

I have dual RS5000's all around my truck and I have a pretty nice ride. In Arizona the roads out hear can be pretty rough.

15. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I just installed Trailmaster SSV's. They've got a valve that adjusts/closes for offroading and on the highway, it stays open for a smooth ride. I like them so far but haven't put 'em through off-road paces yet.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>