Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Max, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Howdy all,
    Finally got the brake problems fixed on the 71, stops much nicer now. Passed inspection as well, woo woo. Next thing I need to do is add front shocks! Any suggestion on brand and what kind of length to use?? It is a 71 Jimmy with a 4" HD tuff country lift on the front end. All suggestions and ideas welcome :)

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am going to go with Bilstine's when I replace mine. They are $70 each which is a little steep but they are the best IMHO.

Whatever you do stay away from Rancho 5000's. THEY SUCK!

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Being a skeptical dude, I wanted to verify that I was buying the correct shock length for my K5. I measured the center-hole-to-center-hole distance on the current shock and then went through the Rancho RS9000 product guide and tried to find a shock who's "half-compressed" value most closely matched the static measurement on my truck.

Here are my specifics:

Static measurement (hole-center to hole-center) 18.5"
    Best shock match: Rancho RS9246
    Fully Compressed: 14.250"
    Fully Extended: 22.875"

This allows the shock to sit basically in the exact middle of it's usable travel when sitting level. Based on my own calculations, I have 4.375" of available extension, and 4.230" inches of available compression. That's about as perfect of a match as I could find.

I don't know if this is the correct way to do shock sizing....but at the time, it made sense to me.

I would also agree with Triaged...the RS5000s are a waste of money (I have a set on my F*RD Br*nco) and they are not very good. The RS9000s are tunable, which is great for me....I have them set to "1" (full soft) to make up for the rediculously stiff springs the previous owner put on. When I go to a softer spring, I can simply turn the knobs and stiffen up the shocks! [​IMG] The RS9000s really aren't that much more expensive....eat some Kraft Mac&Cheese for a week to save the extra money if you need to. [​IMG]

-Greg72

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The shock you choose depends on the vehicle loading, unsprung weight, spring rate, and a few other variables. The RS5000 might stink on a Blazer with stiff springs, but it works reasonably well on a vehicle with more or less stock spring rates. The RS9000 doesn't offer enough rebound damping on a Blazer with really soft springs (a friend has some 9Ks on his '72 with SkyJacker SoftRide springs and it wallows - SkyJacker recommended another nitrogen-filled shock for him, but I can't remember which, I think it was the Invader N7).

5. Thrashed68

Thrashed68 Registered Member

I just put Bilstien 5100 shocks on my 68 4x truck. It has the ez ride tuff country 4 inch lift to. They are hands down the best shock I have ever used. They really work with the springs rather then over run them. They also let the wheel stick to the road without winding up as much as the trail masters I had befor. Just my opinion, they are the best. You really get what you pay for.

Skin grows back, Parts cost money!

6. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

What is better in the front, dual shocks or singles. I have dual and it is kinda stiff. I was told by a little bird that singles are better that dual??

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Singles are better and cheeper.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust