Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by my88texastruck, Dec 22, 2006.

1. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

I installed an add-a-leaf kit on my '88 Chevy Suburban 4X4 and got approx 2" of lift out of it. My problem is that the stock shocks are now almost fully extended off the jack. What would be a good, middle of the road shock to go with - looking for good performance as this is my DD and I also tow some with it - and not break the bank? Stock set-up with single front shocks.

Manufacturer?
    Length?
    Price?

Thanks!

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

You could probably get away with using the 4" lift shocks that Autozone sells. They are just some gabriels (same as many name brands). But they have a lifetime warranty, or used to. When my wife wrecked our old K5, I went to get some replacements for the rears, and the guy just swapped 'em out even though one was pulled apart... at no cost to me. They worked fine for the day to day stuff and did ok off road. They didn't cost much back then, but I don't know how they compare these days. It's worth checking into though.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Bilstein. Alot of lift company shocks (Rancho, Skyjacker, Superlift, etc) list shocks for stock to 2" then 2" to 4" etc.

4. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

4" Rancho 5000. Good affordable off-road shock, I,ve had a set on my k5 for about 12 years, I like 'em.

5. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

Bilstein 2-4 inch lift shocks. Same goes with most reputable lift companies.

Personally though for me, its Bilstein, KING, or FOX

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Rancho's are very popular and a good quality shock. Tho many say they are a bit stiff. Ive used them and Skyjacker shocks on lifted K5's and K20.