Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shawns84, May 2, 2007.

1. Shawns84

Shawns84 Registered Member

Hey all
    looking for a set of shocks. Have pro comp es 3000s, and pro comp 4" springs. Find the ride firm as hell. Was just wondering if i could go with a softer shock, or if this is more of a spring rate thing. Dont want to spend a fortune, but i want to be able to do speed bumps almost as good as a car (ha ha) Brand suggestions? Or do I have to buck up?

2. Shawns84

I know somebody knows about shocks on this board....

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd tell you to search, but right now that would be hypocritical. :D

If you want your truck to ride as soft as a car you'll find it too soft for the really rough stuff since you'll be using more of your travel soaking up minor bumps.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The springs soften after use . I run the same springs up front ( rear is flipped ) . Takes a while , and helps if you go wheeling a lot .

Even better , let a little air out of the tires , or go bigger . I ran 28 pounds with my 33's and it helped . Then when I went 35's , it was night and day .

As for shocks , I just got the prerequiste ck5 reccomended Autozone gabriels for the rear ( in stock mounts ) and moved the rear pro comp shocks to the front . I got rid of the kit front shocks :thumb:

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Springs affect the ride more than the shocks. Lift spring s= rough ride

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Have to disagree there. Both play a part in ride quality and either can make it bad pretty easily. My yota on stock rear leaves with add-a-leaves & Rancho 5000's rode much worse than after I put some Bilstein 7100's on. The ride in the rear got even better when I stuck some GM 63's under it.

7. Shawns84

Sorry, i was looking for a forum search... Found the ck5 one...
    BTW, i have 35" tires. Not really saying i want it to ride like a car (it is a truck, and i do beat it) but i want it to be a little more non ridiculous. I was thinking about buying some of the tuff country ez ride 6"ers, but i dont know any of the math to figure out the spring rates, and cant find any spring rate info for the 6" spring.
    Bilstein shocks around here are like diamonds. Rare, and expensive. I can get good deals on edelbrock, and half decent deals on skyjacker, pro comp and trailmaster. And from what i have read and heard, rancho has a real stiff shock. So.... where should i start?

Last edited: May 4, 2007