Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greenie, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

My 89 K5 has the quad shocks in the front. The only difference is that one is longer then the other.
    My question is, since they are gas shocks and they naturally have pressure to expand them, can one shock be used as a compression shock and the other used as a rebound shock.
    This technology is used on desert race cars and trucks. When you have two shocks at each corner, one is used for compression and the other used for rebound. Do you think this will work for this application.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 89 K5 has the quad shocks in the front. The only difference is that one is longer then the other.
    My question is, since they are gas shocks and they naturally have pressure to expand them, can one shock be used as a compression shock and the other used as a rebound shock.
    This technology is used on desert race cars and trucks. When you have two shocks at each corner, one is used for compression and the other used for rebound. Do you think this will work for this application.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Never seen no setup like that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

This technology is used on desert race cars and trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Bubba said, never seen a set up like this... and I have looked a lot of set ups in the last few months thanks to VORRA. Got any pics?

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

My 87 has that setup! I don't know the answer to the tech question, but I do know that it's not uncommon... Some trucks came from the factory with quad shocks up front! If you look at the inner fender on your truck, there's a half circle on the inner fender clossest to the frame where they cut out for the second dual shock mount! Hope you find the answer to your question, just didn't wqant you to feel it wasn't a factory setup! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I should of clarified since I have a quad setup on my truck.

Never seen no shocks setup with one only rebounding (like Shaq ) and the other one only drooping (should I? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hummm....maybe you can turn one set of gas shocks upside down so while one set is compressin, the other set will be reboundin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif One more beer and im going to try it on mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i had rancho 5000 shocks on my stock lift truck when i bought it. one had a thicker piston and expanded when i unbolted it. it had alot of push. the other was a thinner piston and stayed put when unbolted, but was hard to move up or down. i think thats something like what you described. im pretty sure they were set up like that to work as a team.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    i had rancho 5000 shocks on my stock lift truck when i bought it. one had a thicker piston and expanded when i unbolted it. it had alot of push. the other was a thinner piston and stayed put when unbolted, but was hard to move up or down. i think thats something like what you described. im pretty sure they were set up like that to work as a team.

[/ QUOTE ]

On these idiotic front quad setups, if you order the shocks that are replacements for the stock ones, then the shocks are either built/valved for the quad setup and you can't remove one cause it will mess up everything.

Life is grand and horizons are broaden and mass bannings from FSC are reached when one becomes enlightened to the world of shocks past the stock Rancho replacements...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hey 88Silverado, please UPS your beer to Bubba, it's making you wacky like Daffy.