Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sholder belt\Chopping Roof?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Jun 11, 2002.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sholder belt\\Chopping Roof?

I am about to chop the roof off my 82, for those who have done this what did you do to keep the sholder belts? Or do i have to go to a 5 point harness?

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Re: Sholder belt\\Chopping Roof?

Attach it to the cage that you're going to install /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

When you doing the chop? I'm doing mine in a few weekends /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

To buy me some time, I'm taking the roll bar that was in the back of the truck and am going to turn it around, extend it to fit the floor and use that as my shoulder harness mount points.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I will be doing the chop in a few weeks. The truck is going into phase two of the build up, since I just striped my front pinion, the gov lok in the rear is going out and I need to finally get my rear brakes to work, the the tranny is grinding before every gear, and my oil pan is loosing about a quart of oil a week, I plan on adding another $5000 to the all ready spent $9000 in 7 months before it is offroad again. But other than that my truck is ready to go /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Just a heads up guys, you need a full cage in your rig before you chop the roof! The '76 and newer K5s do not have the rocker boxes reinforced like the older K5s. If you don't reinforce your rig you will have problems by chopping the roof off. I've seen bodys on some that start to crack just from having the rear half of the roof removed. The front half is part of the structure of your rig and removing it without a roll cage is not reccommended. Don't get me wrong though I'm all for topless rigs, so get your cage then hack the top.