Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shop and shop toys, what would you buy???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Feb 4, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Heres what I have...
    32'X42' three bay shop w/
    8'X20' loft
    toilet
    shower
    wash basin
    washing machine(for shop towels) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    fridge/freezer
    microwave
    tv/phone
    lincoln arc welder
    and the typical drill press, bench grinder, vice, tool box, little stuff like that...
    So my question is, what if you had about $10,000 to spend on stuff to get it up and running???OK go!!!

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Lift
    Lots of shelving
    Lots of work benches (at least one that's metal with a catch/drain - like the ones tranny shops use)

Sounds like your going to become very popular. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I would definately start off with a four post lift, and a huge air compressor with all the air tolls I would ever need. Then a tube bender, plasma cutter, and all the other metal shop goodies........... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I would have to say that $10,000 isn't that much. I like what I see here though so far. I am hoping to get my SSN disability this April. If I do, I will have about $20,000 to spend on a new shop, should get around $40,000 in back pay. I am building a 30' x 40' shop. I figured about $10,000 will buy the medal building and have it built, the way I want, including a concrete floor. I plan on spending at least $10,000 for tools and stuff to put in it. I know I will have an air compresser, welder, cutting tourch, lift, many benches and shelves, with maybe a loft. I will buy some specialty tools also and of course, more tools.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am building a 30' x 40' shop. I figured about $10,000 will buy the medal building and have it built, the way I want, including a concrete floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get that size building with a slab for 10 grand built. Then pm me the name and number of the contractor you are going to use. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

chevyfumes:
    I would say lift, biggest air compressor you can afford, plasma torch, industrial parts washer, industrial blast booth (big one), air lines run throughout the shop at different intervals, 2 big work benches at least, some type of ventalation system to suck out all the welding and grinding dust when you have the shop doors closed in the winter time. Maybe even one of your bays converted into a paint booth. Damn 10 grand goes fast. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Just my.02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Eric

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Wow.... Let see K-5 lift, I-beam across trusses as a cherry picker w/ electric winch, large movable/tilt workbench, engine stand, trany stands, , sand blasting tank, tube bender, parts washing tank, plasma cutter, tig welder, break lathe, CNC lathe, CNC Mill, don't forget the beer, soda tap, so you can relay on the Garage couch and enjoy a cold drink. seround sound stereo, intercom to main house, ALARM and a couple attack dogs.

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

2 post lift.
    floor drains
    plenty of windows or skylights, nothing beats natural light
    radiant floor heating
    crane system, 2 I beams running length of the shop and 1 across with a chain hoist on it.
    tire changer/balancer
    a good alarm system
    pressure washer
    a stage with a pole in the middle

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

1. forklift(RTI ramp, cherry picker, crane, etc)
    2. stocked bar w/ onsite bartender... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    CNC lathe, CNC Mill

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

You seriously think you could get a CNC mill and lathe for 10k? I paid 10k for my 12 year old CNC mill!

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Couch/bed for those nights when you might be unable to make it back to the house; or if a buddy needs a place to drill some beaver oil.

Account with the local liquor vendor so you don't have to worry about restocking.

Computer just in case you run into a spot where you have to ask a question on CK5 and can't spend time walking between the house and shop.

Last but not least; some hoes with loose morals and even looser clothing and several kegs and a batch of invites for the wildest damn shop warming party this side of the Rockies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I second the computer suggestion. You will almost certainly put a phone out there so find a cheapo used computer and set it up as well.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    1. forklift(RTI ramp, cherry picker, crane, etc)

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifThats a good idea

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

2 post lift........... 3000
    plasma cutter......... 1000
    mig welder............. 500
    big compressor......... 500
    tube bender and dies.. 1000
    chop saw............... 100
    shop press............. 500
    nice tool box......... 1000
    tools................ 10000
    computer............... 400
    refrigerator........... 400
    beverages for one year. 600
    place to work on trucks and hang out with buddies......

PRICELESS /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    im building a shop right now and i wish i had 10,000 to spend on stuff for it.

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

HOOKERS !!!

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tools $1k? That'll buy ya a couple wrenches and an impact gun. Or an air compressor.

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know, it seems lately that I've needed to move around a lot of bulky/heavy stuff and a forklift would be great to have around. I have no idea how much one of these cost, though. I don't even have a garage let alone a shop(just a dirt spot on the side of the house) but when I do it'll be one of the first things I get... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

air compressor, air tools, tube bender, a wire feed with an argon bottle, then with the left over money id buy beer, a log of copenhagen, and a lot of steel.

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am building a 30' x 40' shop. I figured about $10,000 will buy the medal building and have it built, the way I want, including a concrete floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get that size building with a slab for 10 grand built. Then pm me the name and number of the contractor you are going to use. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

chevyfumes:
    I would say lift, biggest air compressor you can afford, plasma torch, industrial parts washer, industrial blast booth (big one), air lines run throughout the shop at different intervals, 2 big work benches at least, some type of ventalation system to suck out all the welding and grinding dust when you have the shop doors closed in the winter time. Maybe even one of your bays converted into a paint booth. Damn 10 grand goes fast. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Just my.02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

We had our building built in '98 60'x24' with 10' ceilings poured cement floor with a 10' apron on one end 2 windows walk in door and garage door cost 11k Add in another $1,500 for insulation, wiring, interior sheathing, etc..grand total 12.5k.

Since it's main function is to be for monument production I have a 15'x24' section walled off with 2 large sandblasting rooms and exhaust. Inside has 2 desks, phone, network link to my house for the laptop (very handy) 3 sets of steel shelves, 2 workbenches one covered with steel, Refridgerator soon to be modified to hold a half keg of Yuengling, air compressor, torch, mig and arc welders, bench grinder and vice, drill press, etc... It also has 200A service with a couple 220v 20a recepticles and a 220v 50a receptacle for the welders.

On the wish list is 2 post lift since I have no room for a 4 post, water service, sink, washer/dryer, Toilet (I have to spread lime outside the back door every summer), couch and 29" TV...it has a 13"tv with directv but the bigger one would be nice, Home theater for the house so I can move our big pioneer stereo/cd changer in....that's about it for now

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tools $1k? That'll buy ya a couple wrenches and an impact gun. Or an air compressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must buy from snap on. I currently use my shop with less than 1K worth of hand tools and can do pretty much anything I want to my K5.

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I didn't say it would buy it all... Hell a good lift is going to eat up most of that $10k by itself... They are just things I have needed or wanted when working on my stuff....

like, Make a sub electrical panel in the garage just for the garage. A paint booth, powder coat oven, Dyno mechine.... I can go on and on.....