Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shop Heat Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEBSR, Nov 28, 2005.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

As it is starting to get pretty cold in my area I am getting ready to buy a heater for the garage but need some input. The garage is 30'x45' (1350sqft). I was looking at a propane but it said that it take a 20 gallon tank of propane every 12 hrs. Way too costly as much as I would use it. Another option I found is from jegs jegs blue fan with heater attachment Has anyone tried these? Don't really care for the bullet heaters as they are loud. What are my other options :dunno:

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't think 5,300 BTU isn't near enough to heat your shop. I doubt it's really enough to warm you even if you sat right in front of it. Even a 55,000 BTU would be a little small, but it would work. My 40x60 shop is not insulated, and I use the 150,000 BTU bullet heater and it never really warms it up in there, I just have to point it at where I'm working. Also check the CFM output as it will effect the amount of heat also.

3. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

Best bet might be to find a good used pellet stove, easy to plumb and can easily heat 1400ish S.F.

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

My old neighbour used a big swimming pool heater and plumbed in piping all across his garage. worked like an old boiler and was extremely successful.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wood burner.

Go to your local high school's woodworking shop and tell the teacher you would like all the scraps they throw out. Deliver around five 55 gallon drums and let them fill them up. There will probably be more oak scraps than anything else and for the small sizes they are, they will burn better and hotter than any log you can get.

I've been using the drums from the school and taking the scraps home for the burner in my shop. If you have some used oil on hand, pour some in the stove first and then some newspapers with the scrap wood on top. Lastly, I throw a log on top of all that just for added measure.

Wood is cheaper and can be found anywhere. Check out your local lumber yard for their scraps, too.

6. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I just use the old fuel oil furnace that was in my trailer. With some creative ducting it can be done without too much trouble. It heats a 24'x60' building with 10' ceilings. Trick with high ceilings is to install a couple cheap ceiling fans to blow the heat down. Often you can find these type furnaces in the traders guides.

8. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

Those blue fans are great in the summer,but the heater does not work very
    well unless your standing 2' in front of it.

9. 87_k5_silverado

87_k5_silverado Registered Member

That there "Blue Blower" is JUNK....at least the heater attachment is. I have one and I only use it for the fan in the summertime; as my Saint Bernard likes to hang out in front of it. I paid like 40 bucks for the thing and another 20 for the heater attachment. The fan itself kicks *ss.....I would buy one though. I use mine all the time. I hope this ramble helped.......

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

eh...waste oil burners...

I use 2 55 gallon drums converted to wood stoves,one is an "upright" version that top loads,and has 3 -2" pipes that go down from the top of the barrel to let in air for combustion (a copy of the "Tempwood" stove )--its much safer and you can cook on the flat top of the stove,something thats difficult to do on the other one,thats made into a stove using the commonly available kits at hardware stores..or by using a cast iron chimmney clean out door and a hinged flap for air intake..the toploader sucks to empty the ashes and nails..have to lift them out the top!--but you only need to do it once a year,its not that much of a pain..takes up less space too!.

Sparks can jump out of the air inlets on the horizontal stoves,also any gas vapors will tend to stay near the floor,and could be more easily ignited if any fuel is spilled in the shop..while the vertical "upright" ones pipes could be ducted to outside air if desired to prevent such a scenario..I've never had any troubles with my stoves while working on a vehicle,though while rebuilding a few carbs some gas and vapors were worrysome..but no explosions or fires..(yet :blush: :rolleyes: )..

I like the "Mother Earth News" waste oil burner..but its basically just a wood stove with a copper tubing wrapped around the stove pipe with oil dripping on a hot iron surface..I have burned waste oil in my stove for many years by simply letting oil drip the same way on some old tire chains mounted inside the stove near the stovepipe outlet--they get red hot from the wood,and the oil flow is adjusted b a needle valve,makes a "POOF" every time a drop hits the chains..

I've also just poured a cupfull at a time in the stove,as long as you have a good draft,it burns cleanly with little or no smoke..takes all day to burn a few quarts though,in a waste oil "drip" setup....too slow if your trying to dispose of a lot of oil quickly,like at a "real" shop..

Two or three things I dont like about the waste oil heater--not many "good" water heaters are in the dump!..every one I've seen was junked for a reason--IT LEAKED!!...so good luck finding one--whereas one used for a woodstove is easy to weld a patch on..also,21,000 BTU's isn't squat!..(5,000 btu's is what those electric "ceramic" heaters put out..makes a good handwarmer,thats about it!)... :rolleyes:

It would do little or nothing to help "heat" my garage--both the stoves I have put out over 150,000 btu's,and at 25 degrees I'm lucky to get it 50 degrees or warmer with BOTH stoves going!(uninsulated steel quonset garage,20x40 ft,13' ceiling)..also I dont see any way to control the oil flow,or shut it off??..and some new synthetic oils won't burn good period..one gallon of it mixed with 54 others of plain petrolium oil will gum up the works..

I think I'll be looking for some water heaters to replace my barrels when they rot out,since they say they are thicker..I get free pallets from factories and places that sell gravestones,and dead trees from the woods out back..

I have yet to ever pay for heat,despite the fact I do have an old forced hot air furnace I had to weld up the cracked firebox in --came from a friends house--its 110,000 btu,sworks great--but I can torch 20 bucks of fuel in it in one day..more than I'd make farting around in the shop--so I stay in the house a lot when its cold!.. :doah: :( --or spend as much time feeding the stoves as I do working.. :crazy:

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I use a little propane radiant heater in my two car garage. I got this from Northern Tool . I don't run it continously, just when I'm actually working in the garage. Does a great job on taking the chill off, and if I leave it going (it does come with a themostat) it will burn my bald spot :D

12. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Have a wood stove in my garage...

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

the used oil heaters are unhealthy as hell....leakage from the stove burning cancer causing stuff isnt the best idea for an enclosed shop

how about a corn pellet stove... good ones burn about a bushel a day at around 2.00 a bushel... in the size you spec'd

14. 87_k5_silverado

87_k5_silverado Registered Member

ditto on the corn stove............

15. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

get a double barrel wood stove. it's a kit that uses two 55 gal. drums.. or get some electric radiant heat to hang above your work areas. it will be like a big toaster with a stainless reflector. that way your tools and work area get heated as well

16. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

wood stove with a fan behind it is what i use in my garage in WA. the little heaters are good if u put them facing ure toolbox so it warms up the tools :D

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a 85,000Btu slamander in my garage. Runs off propane though, which some people don't like. It has served it purpose well though for the two winters i have had it.

Doubt i will ever need it in So-Cal though so one of the neighbors will buy it

18. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a small 1000 sq ft shop with 8' walls and 4" insulation roof and walls.
    I use 2-4000 watt (I think) heaters with a couple ceiling fans. Keeps it cozy, and can heat up to 70 if I want it to. It costs a little more than the propane I had in there, but with the price increase this year it may be cheaper. Also it doesn';t create the moisture that the propane does. Keeps things from rusting. I wouldn't go back to fuel. The heaters cost about 145 each. And run off a 20amp circuit.

19. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

u coming to socal? sweet diego?

20. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

We rep a product from a company called Solaronics. They make a product called Suntube IV. They are available from 40,000 to 200,000 btuh. The tube lengths are from 10 - 70 feet in length. You can get them either with Natural gas or LP/Propane. To find your local rep go to www.solaronicsusa.com or you can call 1-800-223-5335