Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shop improvements

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 23, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Let’s try something different here, shall we?

I’ve got an ongoing problem in my shop, it’s too @#$%#% SMALL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It’s basically a one car detached garage, and it wouldn’t even hold a full size car. One of my biggest problems is not enough shelf space so things wind up piled around in the floor. I’m sure you guys have noticed the mess in my pics. Anyway, I’m working on getting this thing into some semblance of order. I may never be able to get my rig inside to work on it, but I will get it so I have at least some room to work…

Below you will see a diagram of my proposed shop layout along with a rolling rack for steel storage. Everything is pretty much to scale. They are rather big, but the file size is not too huge so it shouldn’t cause too much trouble.

On the shop:

The orange block at the top are floor to ceiling shelves. The brown block below is the rolling steel storage racks. The top is 1” plywood to form a work surface, but primarily to use as a feed table for the band saw and chop saw. The two things on the top left are rolling tables with my band saw on one, and the chop saw plus grinder on the other. Both of these will “dock” at the end of the steel storage so that the feed table can be used. That black “x” thing is my bender showing the lever arm sweep. Most of the rest should be pretty obvious. I’ll also be adding a number of outlets in strategic locations.

[​IMG]

On the steel storage racks:

This thing is going to completely block access to the lower shelves against the wall. I’ll put “rarely used, long term” stuff down there. The rack can be pulled out if needed. I’m torn between casters or just rollers. Roller will make it easy to just pull in and out. Casters tend to fight themselves (6 would be required) and can cause tipping and such, but of course they allow more flexible adjustments. The top “shelf” has extra supports along it’s length and expanded metal to support full lengths of small stuff like 1” x 0.125 strap and such, things that will sag without support. The other “shelves” are really just 1” x 0.125 bars that support more rigid stock like 1.75 x 0.125 round roll bar stock. The very bottom “leg” will be used for heavy stuff like 2 x 2 x 0.250 square. This should make it more stable, and the bottom legs (2 x 3 x 0.125) should have plenty of strength to support the weight.

So, any brilliant insights?

[​IMG]

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Looks like a cool layout. how high are your ceilings?
    We are currently changing our garage around to be a little more 'shop' like. I'll dig up some pics /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Basically me made wood shelves all the way around the top like your talking about and made them to fit those 25 gallon rubber maid totes. We also have several tool boxes and welding carts and stuff we need to find room for.

add-on
    We have 10 foot ceilings (to the rafters) and we put shelves on the wall at 8 feet on the north and eastsides of the garage (the one pic, eastwall, shows another narrower shelf for woodworking trim and stuff), The northwall has shelves clear up the to the 15' peak of the garage. That wall also has all the old kitchen cabinets and base cabinets. So we have plunty of storage now... but we are out of wall space for all of our roller carts (torch, welder, two air compressors, one of those portable vice workbenches, table saw, sand blasting cabinet and three tool boxes). Here are a couple pics of the shelves... I will have some better pics later after the floors are cleared of little stuff going into the cabinets.
    shelves eastwall, we use the rafters for stuff like the christmas tree and other stuff
    north wall partial shot
    one of the two two cabinets we have
    the south wall is covered but it is floor to ceiling shelves like those 2x4 top shelves

3. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We also have several tool boxes and welding carts and stuff we need to find room for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where there is room for one of the welding carts. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Does this qualify as center of gravity discussion? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sorry, couldn't resist.

5. BadDog

Thanks.

Ceilings are only 7' in back and about 8.5' in the front (flat spanish style roof)

6. BadDog

You know, I debated that. But the charter specifically covers fab *related* topics including tools and such. And a home fab shop is certainly "fab related"... So, here it is... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It certainly didn't seem to belong in the "year specific", and the Garage is too much trouble...

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I thought I should at least give you a hard time about it though. I have been designing a garage with attached shop in autocad for some time now. It doesn't matter how much room you have or how organized you are, you never have enough room. I'll keep an eye on this one for ideas for my shop!!

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I have the same problem almost.

Small garage, but I'm storing stuff from two families since my in-laws moved to another place and that one doesn't have a garage and my FIL is a mechanic. I have come up with a plan, but it requires most of his stuff to be gone and that ain't happening so here's a basic idea of what I deal with........

There's a workbench across one side of the garage, but it only covers about 3/4 of the wall. There is a desk in there also that got moved to the back wall since that is basically out of the way. Then a lot of mis. stuff went on that desk to get it out of the way.

Then I put my rollaway tool boxes against the other way, along with a semi-stationary table I have with a vise, and those are at the door cause there is a shelf next to that.

In front of the desk at the back wall is a lot of stuff that has no use, but I haven't gotten rid of, along with my trash can.

My welder and tube bender are by the workbench near the back wall. Not easy to get too, but since they are currently on R&R, it's no worry. Then I still have another rollaround cart/table and my axle cart with the 9" housing. Since both of these are mobile, and I use the cart for most everything, they are inside the door. Once I move the cart, then I can move the axle around inside. Tight quarters, but I can move around.

The only benefit I've had with my FIL's stuff left behind is most of it is Chevy and has saved me, but in the next few weeks, I've got to start filling up the dumpster again, plus I have too many big parts for my trucks (springs, transfer case and axle) in the garage right now. The only real problem I've had with this is the 70 plus feet of tube........ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. BadDog

I agree, but in the past, I've never been one to let my shop get like this, much less staying like this. Of course I never had a shop this small before. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Also, I strayed a bit from my initial question that prompted this post. I'll gladly accept any suggestions on the overall shop layout and such, but what I really want to know is if anyone has a better suggestion for 20'+ steel storage. I also considered overhead, but that would be a pain and the ceiling is too low. I'm also not convinced of being able to adequately anchor to the ceiling. There is also some room outside, between the shop and the wall. I thought about putting up a small wall/roof/lean-to type thing for the steel, but it would be a pain feeding in the long lengths with no room to walk it down to the end. Basically, this is the best I could come up with, and I'm not satisfied...

10. BadDog

I don't have in-laws storing here, but I do have that "needs to go in the dumpster" problem. I'll be looking into more of that tomorrow... Good luck on getting back your garage.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I envy your garage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've got about 10'x20' to work with.

I think I've pretty much reached a standstill on trying to take mine, I'll just have to put up with it til I move.

My philosophy towards it is shelving and mobile. I really wanted to build a table for the back wall, then rip out the work bench and build a new one to maximize the space, but it's not possible.

12. BadDog

As you can see from my drawing, mobile is a big part of my plan too. I have to be able to move things around to make space where/when I need it. Next time HF puts the 5" iron hub and solid rubber casters on sale, I'll be buying 20 or more...

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I’m working on getting this thing into some semblance of order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just need to have Greg come and visit for a week or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Im curious, What software did you use to draw up those images?

15. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I’m working on getting this thing into some semblance of order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just need to have Greg come and visit for a week or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I wonder what he would charge... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That's just Visio I'm using for the images. Works fine for 2D and does things to scale without all the trouble of CAD.

16. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Put the compressor in the attic and run hard line down to a hose reel or a T with a couple quick connects. This will save a little space and make things less noisy if the attic is insulated.

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

As far as casters vs. rollers I'd definitely go with the rollers. I think the casters will be a PITA to get it to go in and out straight with any weight on it.

In our greenhouse all our tables sit on three pipes that run the length of the table. You can put a ton of weight on them and they still will roll back and forth easily and they don't wander side-to-side. The table top isn't attached at all - just expanded metal on a frame that sits on the rollers. Simple stops keep the table from rolling too far. The only problem I could forsee is if it did get twisted somehow, you might have to unload the shelf to straighten it out.

18. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

As far as your steel storage goes. Build the steel cart like you plan but don't build the shelves along that wall floor to ceiling. Build em ceiling to whatever height above the steel cart gives you enough room to work. Then put the "rarely used, big stuff" that would go on the bottom of the shelves in the attic or in a lean to outside. This will save some floor space.

Another idea, thinking outside the box here /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, I always thought it would be nice to put stuff like a blaster and the compressor and other big,noisy, less often used stuff in there own little room. Maybe put a small addition on the back for this kinda stuff? It will keep em outta the way and keep the noise down in the shop when the compressor is running, kinda like my attic idea.

19. BadDog

k2orion:
    There is no attic, it's a Spanish flat roof with a slope. I've considered an add-on, but living in the city that can be trouble with building codes and permits. I plan to sell this house in the next 5 years and conformance inspections are required at the time of sale. It also has to look good, not something cobbled together. Add in the fact that my shop is on a corner of the property, so 2 sides (back and top in the pic) are useless for add-ons. And there is an olive tree beside the walk in door (bottom of pic) that my wife refuses to cut down, so no real room for an add-on there either. <sigh> But, who knows, something mysterious may happen to the tree resulting an a performed slab and storage shed appearing there...

Chris_T:
    That's kinda what I figured on the casters/rollers. Thanks for the real world example.

I've also got some other ideas for external steel storage that are to complicated and problematic to go into here. Who knows, I'll just have to ponder a bit longer...

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sweet layout! But where to put all the "other" stuff that always ends up in the garage? You know, kids bicycles, kids toys, lawnmower, wheelbarrow, snow blower (for those of us that live in places where that is required), spare engines, spare trannies, spare t-cases, extra wheels, extra tires, fridge, etc. I've also got 3 truck doors and a K5 tailgate waiting to be installed, along with a front clip that I'm sure the neighbors are tired of seeing in the backyard. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif