Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shop lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by orangeGMC, Dec 12, 2005.

1. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

Has anybody ever used one of these?

[​IMG]

I am probably going to be moving around to different shops as I upgrade, and I could take this with me pretty easily. Do you think it will hold up my K25 longbed pickup? Says it will hold 6000lbs.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

for personal use?

id check to see if there was a wheelbase restriction. then id figure out how much your truck wieghs.

if it meets both of those criteria, then buy it.

ryan

3. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

It would be for personal use, Jacking up a lifted truck and balancing it on tall jackstands becomes scarier everytime.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][​IMG][/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Lifting Capacity [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]6000 lbs.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Overall length [FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]90"[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Overall width [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]39/57" [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Lowered height [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]4.75" [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Maximum lifting height w/pads [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]48.5"[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Maximum lifting height w/adapters [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]54"[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Lifting speed [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]40 seconds [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Motor [/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]1hp/110v. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Shipping weight[/FONT][FONT=Arial,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]1,236 lbs. [/SIZE][/FONT]​

These are the specs they show.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wouldn't get one just because the only thing you can really do is brakes and if it doesn't have to attach to the axles then some suspension stuff. They are good for places and people that do a lot of brake jobs. What if you have to do a transmission or transfer case swap? Granted you can lay under the truck easily for that stuff, but jackstands and a jack aren't that hard and aren't expensive.

5. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

It looks like it would lift from the frame. I do alot of suspension work lifting and lowering. Also brake jobs and tire/wheel packages. Would probably work for axle swaps and re-gearing.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

unless the truck was supported by jackstands at the opposite end, i imagine it may get a little tippy when swapping out an axle.

just a thought.

why not buy a used full on lift?

just unbolt it an unplug it when it needs to be moved? i.e. if you move from shop to shop? it seems that moving that thing may be more difficult that it seems (it weighs 1250 lbs!).

ryan

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

those are best for flat under sides. if stuff like gas tank and tcase are lower than frame rails it wont work the best. and the 6k lift is going to strugle to pick up your ride.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I would keep looking...

I vote no...my friend offered to GIVE me a similar lift from his old shop when the building was sold,and the new owner said everything old inside was going to be scrapped!..I used it a few times on a K20 similar to mine,and my own..it barely picked it up,and it had only one hydraulic cylinder doing the lifting..it was a scary looking setup..my truck weighed 6200 lbs..

It had bent the driveshafts on other vehicles too...as they were raised,the axles drooped and the drivshafts contacted the lifts frame..one shaft it ruined on an F350 costed 375 bucks!..:doah:

I'd say buy a "real" lift,with 7000 lbs or more capacity...the style with 2 swinging arms is ok,they can also be used to pull cabs,beds,and motors out..

I like the ones with a drive on platform and ramps,with open centers--you can add a rolling jack platform to them,makes tranny swaps a breeze,and suspension work..
    Its much easier to use them,all you have to do is drive up the ramps..no guessing where to put the "arms".and worries of them slipping and letting the truck fall if your wrenching hard on a tight spring bolt,etc..

..for what the one you pictured will cost,I'd say the other style lifts are worth every cent..the one you pictured is useless for tranny work,and only goes 3' high..not much better than jack stands IMO..:crazy: