Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SHOP LIGHTING - our garage needs more light, what do you use

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 15, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Right now its basically a one car garage (built in shelves and workbenches). We currently have 4 sets of 2 48" florecent lights and its just not enough. I have a halogen light with clip that I carry around clamping on to things where I'm working. I'm afraid one day some gas or cleaner is going to ignite.
    [​IMG]
    (anyone need some junk? we got more than enough to go around!)

How are your shops setup for lights?

Do I just need to add 4 or 6 more sets of florecent lights /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

(edit... hahah ship lighting, thats what we need) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

so what about this idea
    [​IMG]
    (edited image - added carts, the halogen motion dector light I want to put in, and the height of the lights) Roof peak is a little over 15', 10-11' at the edges and the top of the 2x6 rafters are about 11'. The garage doors are 9x10 and 9x11 on the left bay.
    [​IMG]
    there use to be a motor home in the left bay so its about 10" lower in the garage than the top part, the driveway slopes down where the brick seperates the door garage doors

(edited- monday) We just got a crap load of snow and it's going to snow all week, so maybe this weekend being of next week I'll push the truck out and hang more lights

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: SHIP LIGHTING - our garage needs more light, what do you use *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by 4xcrazy

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: SHIP LIGHTING - our garage needs more light, what do you use

Get very bright lights /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking from looking at his picture, he needs better and more lights, also reconfigure them better.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Hey MoFo, think you got junk? I got junk, but I got lot's o' light too.
    [​IMG]
    I have 7 two-lamp 4' flourescent fixtures lighting up the main area of my shop, and I have so much light that I'm thinking of splitting up the circuit so I can turn only half of the lights on at a time. Your problem is the poor reflectors on your fixtures, they let a LOT of light escape to the sides, rather than directing it down. Also, are your fixtures the Home Depot specials, $6-$8 or so? Those use 2 40 watt T12 lamps that are waaay to close together for good light scavenging. The lamps in mine are 32 watt T8's and they are spaced farther apart. My fixtures, though, probably run about $20-$30 each, if I was to buy them. If you know any electricians, or contractors, they might be able to get you a good deal on this type of fixture. It's a standard industrial strip fixture with "canopy" style reflectors.

If I were you, though, I'd probably add 2-4 more fixtures to the shop, and maybe hang them a bit lower, if you have the room. If you want, I have a hundred or so mirror polished reflectors, you pay shipping, and I'll give you enough to do your shop. You will have to do some figgerin' out on how to mount them to your fixtures, but it might take nothing more than a few sheet metal screws. PM me if yer interested. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Disclaimer: My shop isn't really this cluttered usually, but I just helped my gf's granny move, and she unloaded a crapload of stuff on us. Ha, who am I kidding? Even without all her stuff, it's still cluttered, but with tools and toys, and projects in progress, not with boxes. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I use those huge halogen lights on a stand, bright as hell

Something to think of, maybe you can back the lights with tin or sheetmetal to reflect

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

some HID's...
    ok, that would be overkill.
    i would go with more flourescent fixtures with full spectrum lights and nice reflectors above the bulb. also get them as high as possible and add a couple more... maybe double what you have.

over work benchs add the round style flouro bulbs with a switch. that way when you need to use the bench or tool you can turn just that light on.
    saves a bit of coin.

the next step up could be metal halide. they are EXPENSIVE, but last a long time. get hot, but can be made with fans and be certified for work environments. most economical choice is flourescent. as the metal halides take time to warm up.
    Grant

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey MoFo, think you got junk? I got junk, but I got lot's o' light too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the top part of one garage... we have three garages /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

The best solution to more lighting is to paint. Look at your walls and floor. They are dark absorbing what light you have. Add at least 4 more doublr 4' flourescent lights and think about painting your walls and floor a light color. You would be suprised the difference it makes.

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    The best solution to more lighting is to paint. Look at your walls and floor. They are dark absorbing what light you have. Add at least 4 more doublr 4' flourescent lights and think about painting your walls and floor a light color. You would be suprised the difference it makes.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, once we get a little more cleaned out its getting painted tan and white the floor wont be painted but maybe bleached /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have three 100 watt light bulbs in a 28x32 garage. If my mom wasn't talking moving, I'd be having lights hanging everywhere.

Tri-pod 500 watt deals are my answer.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have a 19 x 23 shop with white painted walls and 4 of the 4 tube, 4' fluorescents with built in reflectors (about 2.5 feet wide). More than enough light. I have a singe tube on the wall over the work bench if I get too many shadows. If I need close, bright, direct light (or outside) I have a dual 500 W halogen on a free standing pole stand. Getting under something, (or for heat on cold nights /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) I have a single 500 W halogen on a little small, low stand/handle thingy. I also have a retractable drop cord light I never use due to bulb eating tendencies. I've been thinking of cutting it off and wiring on a fluorescent drop light.

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In my 30x40 pole barn...
    I have 6 F96/T12 HO 8'fixtures...
    They can be purchased at Lowes..for $50 a fixture..

This summer...I'm changing my fixtures to T-8's...
    T-8 fixtures are more efficient than T-12's...
    they use 1/3 less power..

If you're looking for good light...
    that's good on power..definately go T-8's!!!
    And paint the walls!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jjlaughner

I have the dual stand 500watt halogens and two 200-300 watt halogens on clamps I can move around and they work for now but its a pain dragging cords around and the standup lights are usually in the way and never high enough, I use a trouble light and a floor (has a u bent under it) halogen light under the trucks and thats ok but at this point I'm using 4 extention cords, a trouble light and have 4 halogen lights running.

The four florecent lights we have hung up the way they are due to the garage door tracks. To mount lights above where the door rolls up would have to be almost 12' high to clear the door when its open. We have been talking about mounting a motion detection light in one of the main beams for when you come in the back doors at night and have to stumble around the truck and workbenches, welding cards and other crap. This way it would pop on when you first come in or if you flip the switch and you can have alot of light over the engine bay. We also have 4 more of the dual 4' lights but we have yet to hang them.... I've been thinking about the dual halogen work light (the one that is 4' and has a halogen light at each end) mounting one of those above the work benchs.

We are having a garage sale once it warms up. I have all my furniture and stuff from college thats been stored in the garage long enough. Most of the stuff getting tossed or sold, plus the folks have alot of stuff from buying bulk boxes at auctions to get a box of postcards or other stuff, we have BOXES of china, plates, glasses, purses, bags, nicknacks... CRAP that needs to go!

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey, here is some good reading about shop lighting. They also talk about the T8 lighting... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. jjlaughner

The T8 lights sound cool, do i have to change out all the ballasts too?

When the florecents went on sale after we moved out here, pops bought like 8 or 10 of the 2 tube shop lights and three boxes of tubes (so like 60 bulbs). He'd be mighty pissed if I showed up with all new crap /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Sounds like a definate plan when I move for my own shop though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

You can change your existing lights over to T8. All you need to do is change the lamps and ballasts. The sockets are the same for T12 and T8 lamps. If I remember correctly, you get slightly more light out of a T8, but use less power.

Or if you want to get really crazy, you can go to a T5HO lamp and ballast. You get a lot of light out of these for the power they use, but they are harder to buy replacement bulbs and ballasts (but getting easier) and you also have to replace the sockets. Another downside is you should really shield the lamp from view with an opaque lens or something as they are very bright. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

One on the things that I swore I would have when I built my garage was lots of light. Since I don't have heat other than a Kero heater in my garage, floresents would take forever to warm up in the winter. So I went with three rows of eight 100w bulbs (24 total, half are compact floresents) in my 24x28 garage, and painted the walls white. Plus I put a 4' shop light over each of the work benches for close up work. Each row is on a seperate switch so I can vary the light from what I would consider dim to blow yer eyeballs out when you come in at night. Comes in handy when looking for something you dropped in that dark, inaccesable crevece.

19. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

A good quality T8 Ballast will operate normally down to 0 degrees. They are electronic ballasts and operate much better than the older electromagnetic T12 ballasts.

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Since I don't have a garage, I just bite down on a Mini Maglite if I need more light. Other than that, I call it quits at sundown... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif