Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SHOP MANUALS - Which one do YOU like?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I got my ChevyDuty catalog last night, and I see they have quite a few shop manuals for sale. I'd like to pick up a couple to read before starting any type of restoration effort, just to see what I'm in for. If you own one of the following manuals, please share your opinions:

<font color=red>"Factory Assembly Manual - Chevrolet Truck 1967-1972"</font color=red> - 1000 pages.....looks like a complete book, but I'm not sure if it includes Blazer info or just the trucks?

<font color=red>"Chassis Service Manual"</font color=red> - Looks like another factory book, but more geared toward maintenance than to restoration or assembly?

<font color=red>"Chilton's Total Care Manual"</font color=red> - Chilton's has dissapointed me in the past with their 'generic' descriptions and sometimes completely inaccurate and/or incomplete instructions on removal and re-assembly of parts. I'm not sure if the Chiltons for Chevy Trucks/Blazers is any better than what I've seen for other vehicles?

If you own any of these and can comment on their usefulness, I'd appreciate it. I'd buy all three if you tell me that they are all great, but I'd rather not waste money on a book that doesn't have the 'right stuff'

I'm also concerned about these books being too "truck-specific" and not having enough specific info on Blazers.

-Greg72

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The factory Chassis Service Manual is the best service manual out there. Don't bother with Hayne's, Chilton's etc. If you are planning to do any kind of restoration, the Factory Assembly Manual is awesome, as it shows how pretty much everything goes together.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I had bought both Haynes and Chilton back in 93 when I bought my rig. I used both to comfirm the info and get more when the other failed to answer my question. I don't use them really at all anymore, mabie for a torque spec from time to time, but other than that....Both thease books are better than nothing but not that good, very veg and don't offer any tips or tricks that would be most helpful!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I agree with Burt and Tim.I have The factory assembly manual,the factory service manual,Chilton's and a Haynes manuals.If I can't find an answer in one usually another will have it.I don't think you can ever have too much reference material.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I think that the Factory Service Manual is the first publication you should get. It was written so that the dealer and factory service technicians could disassemble, rebuild, and reassemble any part of the vehicle and/or troubleshoot things. The FSMs for the GM passenger cars are wonderful works of art (I have 9 or 10 of these); the ones for the trucks are a disappointment in comparison, but they are much better than anything else available for the trucks.

The Factory Assembly Manual is useful, but it is illogically laid-out and has no cross-referencing in it. Finding things in it is harder than finding a needle in a 30 foot tall hay stack.

Forget the Chilton's book. It's not only vague, but it has some incorrect information as well.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

How can we get a hold of factory Service manuals ?
    Somehow I got a hold of a '72 10-30 series one, but I want a '67 and '68 one, now!
    doesnt look like we gona get better than the GM service manuals.
    Swap meets have them, but no swap meets here in central IL....

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!

7. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg

I have both the chiltons and some other one that I hate and give me a head ache I wouldn't even give them away. I just ordered the shop manual and factory manual. I'll Let you know how they work out as soon as I get them in. The cheapest price I found was at chevy duty.

8. Greg72

Quetzal,

We're on the same wavelength! I bought the same two from ChevyDuty and I'm waiting for them to arrive. [​IMG]

Do you have pictures of your new ride posted anywhere....I still want to check it out. Did you get your custom motor installed?

-Greg72

9. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I bought my assembly manual off of e-bay. I've heard that the reproductions are on "news-print". My original one has good thick paper.

10. Greg72

I just got my catalogs from UPS. It does appear that the paper is a light 'newsprint' style, but I have nothing original to compare it to. It's not objectionable...but it is an interesting data point.

The "Service Manual" appears to be the better book of the two, with full typed descriptions and photos.

The "Factory Assembly Manual" contains mostly line drawings of the various assemblies, with handwritten notes. Many of the pages are exact copies of the original draftsman's sheets, complete with the original revision numbers, part numbers, drawing dates, initials of the person who did the drawing, etc. Kind of neat from a historical perspective, but clearly not as useful to meet the "how do I put this truck back together?" objective.

Even so, I'm happy that I have both....

-Greg72

11. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg,

How you doing? No I don't have any pics up yet but I will soon. As for the motor I think I better wait until I have a drive line that can handle it. The motor thats in there now is a rebuilt 327 witch is fine for the time being. How long ago did you order your books? Still waiting on the ones I ordered.

12. Greg72

Ordered mine late last week. ChevyDuty is pretty good....bought them online, and got an order confirmation vie e-mail right away...and a shipment confirmation the next day. UPS from Missouri only takes a few days. Yours should arrive any time....

-Greg72

BTW -&gt; If you buy from Harbor Freight Tools, don't use their website...they don't offer expedited shipment options on the web. My order from them took two weeks to get from So. Cal to San Jose!!! Rediculous.... If you place a telephone order, they can expedite the shipment. I didn't find this out until I called them to track my packages.