Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shopping for a house sucks.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Mar 28, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

man... this **** is wearing me out... and I just started.

I work opposite schedules as my wife right now and she won't go by herself with the real estate lady... so its pretty much all on me. My daily schedule works like this:

8am: get up... check the MLS reports that my agent sends me via email, cross check with zillow... contact her to let her know what I'd like to see.

9am: search listings on the web to see if there is anything interesting... if so, zillow, yahoo maps etc to do some reasearch.

10am: do some "drive bys" on houses that might be an option.

11am: meet with the agent at a house...look at it... talk about it... take pictures of it for the wife so she can see it.

noon: come home, go on a run (kidney stone deterant, gotta do it), clean myself up, dress for work.

1pm: get my lunch ready, save pics to the PC so the wife can see them, surf the listings a little more.

2pm: leave for work

3:30-11:30pm: work.

11:30-12:15: commute back home, watching out for thugs, gangbangers and other human debris.

12:15am: check my email to see if my agent has contacted me, look over any house listings that my wife has forwarded to me via email etc. If any look good, I email my agent to get the full MLS report to review the next day.

1pm: head hits pillow

1:15pm: sleep

8am: get up and do all that **** over again. lol!

I don't get any rest on the weekend either, because my wife always wants to get up at 7am (sleeping in for her!). :( Me thinks I need to take a day off tomorow from this house hunting ****... its makin' me tired and grumpy. Worst part is, I am a very patient buyer... so I may be doing this for a loooooong time. At least in May I won't be on opposite shifts with my wife anymore tho...

j

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yep, it can be real frustrating.

But you got to ask yourself, 'What would #24 do' :D :haha:?!!

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buying our first house was probably the most stressful thing we've done. With the exception of labor and delivery, I'd say it stressed me out even more than the first kid.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I feel for ya. We started looking for a house last January (06), started seriously looking in June of 06, and finally found a keeper in August, that's when the real fun began:rolleyes:

Good luck to you man.

John

5. jekbrown

yep... its gonna be a looong road. I can already tell. doh!

j

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Sign the deed over to the ex-wife because he has no manhood to speak of.....:p:

I hear y'all about this thing called house buying. It absolutely sucks the 5 day old grime off of my balls after busting jungle as a soldier.

Around here, we have maybe 10 houses that have been on the market within our area for the last 3 months. We've looked at a grand total of 2 of them. The rest of them are dumps.

We have a contract on 1, but we're gonna have to renegotiate with the sellers over asking price................:mad:

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I know you are already with an agent where you live. If there every anything I can do for anyone here, I'd be excited to help. Any questions you have, or anything. My wife and I do it full time and focus on the 4x4 crowd as our niche. :) Hope things go well Jek and you find the right home soon! :)

8. jekbrown

thanks mang.

We are gonna go look at an old school pad on Friday. This bad boy was built in 1952 (classic!) and was purchased last year (thanks zillow.com!) by someone who obviously intends to flip it. It has small bedrooms buy very large (for this size of house anyway) common areas which is awesome. The master is upstairs (always thinking about security!). The lot is 48' wide and 208' long... which means there is room to expand the house in the future as well as putting in a nice big shop (I ain't rich, I'd prolly go with something in the 30'x40' range). The flipper had the real hardwood floors (laminate is crap) redone, remodeled the entire kitchen and painted everything too. The yard needs help (stuff I can do np), a fence needs to be built (I can do that!) and evenutally the siding will need to be replaced (my dad can help me with this, he's done enough of it on his last 2 houses). The roof has some issues, so its definitely one of those replace-it-before-I-buy-it kind of deals on that front. At any rate, I think the place has real potential. Its also about twice as close to work (for my wife) or the train station (for me) as the place we are in now.

Pluses:

1) room to grow in the future

2) beautiful original floors

3) good sq/ft'age for the $$$ in this area

4) well laid out floor plan that is conducive to our lifestyle.

5) it has a couple of great trees on the property... I like cool trees.

6) kitchen is all brand new and the rest of the rooms seem move-in ready.

7) shorter commutes

cons:

1) its old (not always a bad thing)

2) it uses electric radiant wall heaters, so there is no duct work or anything... kinda makes heater/AC upgrades a spendy proposition. The wife kinda likes AC on superhot summer days and I'd rather not run inefficient window-mount AC units all the time. We'd have to figure something out on this front eventually.

3) it has NO garage or carport right now... so the shop would have to get built ASAP and $ tends to be tight right after you buy a house! On the plus side, my landlord would probably allow me to temporarily store some stuff in the shop at my rental. They can throw up a pole building pretty fast right? :grin:

4) the roof will have to be replaced prior to sale... no way in heck a VA loan inspection guy is going to sign off on that crap.

5) no fireplace or woodstove... we kinda like having one.

this house is what my mom calls a "p-house", as in "potential". If I put up a shop, did some landscaping and spruced things up a bit it could be really really nice and a few years down the road I could add on to it (might as well use my architectural design degree for something!) to make it full-on bad ass. The addition, as I currently invision it, would increase the size of one bedroom and the master, and add a living room and second bathroom as well. The living room would have a fireplace or woodstove of somekind too. This type of addition really wouldn't add a tremendous amount of sq ft, but it probably would bump up the resale value significantly... especially having a second bathroom.

------

On a side note, I am going to be going up to Longview this weekend to have lunch with my wife's parents. I have only "had" to go up there one other time (beyond holidays and funerals) and that time my wife's parents gave us money. Apparently they recently got an inheritance from their parents, so they might be giving us some again. No idea how much, but you can never have too much downpayment $$$$...

j

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is it just the ones I seem to get, or do all real estate agents not listen?
    I give a list of criteria, something like:

Must have:
    10 acres or more
    1900-2600sqft

Would like:
    Pond
    Pole barn
    20+ acres
    certain area

and a price range and the words not really willing to compromise, will wait for the right house, no rush to move.
    And I'm not an idiot, I know the area very well, I know what homes go for and the price range and my requests are not unreasonable at all. I do my homework, I check old listings and with township offices to get recent sales prices.

What do they want to show me, a house more than my price range, on 9 acres, with 3000sq ft, no barn or pond and it's out of my area?

Why would you even propose that to me? They ALL do it, at least the ones I find. I just look on my own because I find agents to be somewhat useless around here. I'll call the listing office when I find something and ask for at least a 3% off after negotiations because they don't deserve both listing and selling fees.

It was the same story when I bought my first house. I gave a list of 10 things, a price range, and because the price range was so small, I said must have at least 6 out of the 10 things. All they wanted to show me were things not on the list, like 2 out 10, 3 out of 10. I eventually found what I wanted myself and demanded the agent office take 3% off because they were going to get both the listing and selling fees of the deal and that's not fair to anyone, no work was done on their part, I called them

Blahh..blahh...mabey there's good agents out there somewhere, but I've been through close to 12 or so, and havn't found one yet. They want to push thier crap and not do any real looking, it seems.

Brandon, anything you can do for a Michigan fellow? Any special listings you've access to?

10. jekbrown

my agent is decent aboot that... she just sends me the MLS reports for potential places (ie almost anything in my price range/area) and I just pick what I want to see. I generally do a driveby before work or something... if I like what I see, then I ask the agent to show me the inside. This is nice because it saves both me and the agent time. I meet her every other couple of days and look at a house for 20 minutes and then leave. No need to spend all day driving around with my agent.

j

11. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jek-

We looked for 8 months before we found our house - we are very happy with the neighborhood - I wish the house was a little bigger - and had a bigger shop but oh-well

Whereabouts in WA are you looking?

12. jekbrown

we're staying in the same area.... Vancouver. Some of the surrounding 'burbs are options also. Battle Ground, Ridgefield, La Center etc are all on the table at this point. I'm sure my house hunt is gonna take a looong time, but thats OK. I'd rather take my time and buy the right place than get hosed and regret it for the next 30 years. :crazy:

j

13. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You of course are checking craigslist as well?

14. jekbrown

yeah, I search the CL daily.

I think a lot of people are holding on to their houses for the time being because its not a sellers market. A lot of people want to wait to see if the "hot market" of the last 5-6 years is going to make a comeback. Can't say I blame them.

At any rate, we did the driveby on a house today. Only 1290 sq ft, but its on 1/3 of an acre and the way its laid out it has a nice level area that would be PERFECT for a big shop (w00t!). They are asking $220k... zillow says $19xk. Only real problem with it is that a) it could be more sq ft and b) the tile in the kitchen/dining area is ugly as sin. Its a simulated brick-look linoleum. Fug-Lee. Not like I can't replace it down the road though. We are gonna go see it tomorow prolly... if we like it, we'll prolly offer $215k + seller pays $7000k-ish in closing costs and go from there.

A 30x40' shop would fit on this property beautifully. :grin: Seller says they have 200 amp service, there is a 2 car garage, and it has a flat driveway with a decent amount of parking. All good things for the gearhead in me. :thumb: If I built a big shop on this land, I'd probably convert the existing garage into a living room... this place could use the extra sq footage and its not like there isn't enough parking at this place as it is!

There is another place in Battle Ground we are going to look at also. Newer, 1475 sq ft or so, rv parking but no space for a shop (of any size) or anything. Nice looking place, and property taxes are low out there, but the extra commute time would be annoying...

j

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Good luck. My experience was really not that bad. Started looking 3 weeks ago and found one last week. I will be closing at the end of April.

16. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

The market is going to drop more in the next six months don't be in too much of a hurry. Also check into HUDs. Too many people were buying intrest only with balloon payments. There are going to be allot of foreclosures very soon. I had to sleep with my real estate agent to find this information out! Good thing she happens to be my wife!!!lol

Good luck!

17. jekbrown

ok, we signed the papers for an offer on a house today. Its the 1290 sq ft one on 1/3 acre. I said in my previous post that we were going to offer $215k + seller pays $7k in closing costs... but since the kitchen needs some help (new range/stove, cabinets spruced up, definitely a new floor) we decided to start at $213k + the closing costs instead. We'll see how it goes. Oughta know something by noon on tuesday...

fingers are crossed. This place = shorter commute, room for a shop and a great garage.... all things I really want. :thumb: Now I just need to figure out a way to afford a ginormous pole building. :grin:

The other good thing about this house is that it'd be pretty easy to add on to it, the way it and the yard is laid out. At some point, the wife and I will probably add 12' or so to the house to expand the master bed, add a nice walk in closet and a master bath.

keep the fingers crossed. Waiting 6 months to see if the market gets "worse" is always an option I suppose... on the other hand, I'll spend $6000 on rent during that time... and who knows when/if the fed will get squirrely and bump rates up. Additionally, know one knows for sure what the market is going to do. :dunno: Right now I am locked in at a fixed 5.25%... which is fine with me.

we'll see how it goes. If we get this one there will definitely be a house build-up thread... cause we'll want to do some work on it.

j

18. jekbrown

oh yeah, the wife's parents gave us $1000 when we went to dinner with them... every lil' bit helps... :)

j

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good luck on your offer! You'll be happy with that short commute. That's the only reason I'm even thinking about moving.

20. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Sounds alot like we bought. 1/3 acre, 3 bd, 1 1/2 bath, living room and den. Close to 1500 sq ft. The house had been flipped, with redone REAL wood floors and ceramic tile in the kitchen and baths. You don't even want to know the price. I love real estate prices out here:D
    Good luck to ya J:wink1: :laugh:

John