Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Short and to the point!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derf00, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

John Kerry is in his 4-th term as a United States Senator..

During that time he has introduced 350 pieces of legislation. Of those 8 have been passed.

3 of those were for the naming of ships. And one was for research in the Atlantic Ocean.

This was reported by a fellow Democrat and fellow Senator, one Zell Miller..D-Ga.

Senator Miller went on to describe the Junior Senator from Mass as "all vines and no taters."

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

John Kerry voted against every major weapons project as well. If it were up to him our guys would still be driving Jeeps and wearing flak vests from the Vietnam era. Libs seem to love him though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

what do you mean? if kerry were pres, we WOULDNT HAVE ANY "GUYS" /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have started to reconsider my viewpoint on guns, and while I love them and think it is sweet that we can own them, there is no reason that we should have 4 guns in this house including an AK-47.
    My roommate and I were talking about this just a couple of days ago, and we came to the conclusion that when he went into the gun show and inquired about an AK-47 he should have been arrested and taken to jail, and the gun show should have been raided. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Interesting how a thread about Kerry quickly brought out gun control emotion. No reason to have 4 guns? How many should Americans have the right to own? There ARE reasons to own guns, I own more than that and have friends with far more than I. But here's the thing, we dont need reasons to own guns, its our Constitutional right. I respect you for not personally wanting to own guns (or as many guns/types of guns as you own) but please dont cross the line and vote for laws that limit our Constitutional rights. I dont agree with much I hear on the news but I will never vote to limit our rights to free speech. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have to agree. If you are pro 2nd amendment, you should also be pro 1st amendment, and so on.

I fail to see the logic posed (most often by liberals) by some, when the 1st amendment is used as a shield, while the 2nd amendment is fed to the lions.

The 2nd amendment is there so that the government can be overthrown if necessary, not so you can hunt. You have to have something to back up the other amendments, the 2nd is the only one existing for the defense of the other amendments.

In the time that it was written, ordinary citizens used the exact same small arms the military did, so owning a semi-auto AK-47 or AR-15 now is as close as you can come to leveling the playing field with federally armed soldiers and police.

I'm not suggesting we need to overthrow the government, but that is why we ARE allowed to have such weapons. It's a right, not a privelege, and there is a big difference.

Personally I think the conservatives are wrong on their 1st amendment views (for instance) but just like the liberals are wrong (generally) with the 2nd amendment, both sides have elected to trade one for the other.

As to Kerry, I probably never would have voted for him anyways, but it's the way he carried out his opposition to the Vietnam war that put me off on him. I wouldn't fault anyone for being opposed to something that controversial, and doing something about it, but the way he chose to do so was disrespectful to the entire nation, and to my knowledge he has never apologized or shown remorse for the way he did so. To me that means he still believes what he did was right, and still feels that way today, which could mean many negative things for our countries defense if he were elected.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have started to reconsider my viewpoint on guns, and while I love them and think it is sweet that we can own them, there is no reason that we should have 4 guns in this house including an AK-47.
    My roommate and I were talking about this just a couple of days ago, and we came to the conclusion that when he went into the gun show and inquired about an AK-47 he should have been arrested and taken to jail, and the gun show should have been raided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? AK47 is the general throw it out because its eveil and looks mean and carries a lot of ammo weapon. Everytime I hear some parent whining about how thier kid was shot with an "evil" high capacity gun, I want to ask them "Would you feel ok if your kid was beheaded by a .308 deer rifle readily available and not banned down at walmart?" if they say no, [darn] em argument closed.

AK47 is a well designed rifle with a stigma.

Arrested and taken to jail for questions!? Sure! Question the law, Jail! Question the authority, Jail! Raid your house!

There are reasons to have more than four guns, as soon as they make a law ont he number of guns, then they start decreading the bumber. When it goes down to ONE everyone will be carrying shotguns, or large bore pistols.

Sane collection of more than 4 guns?

.22 Pistol for target
    .22 Rifle for target
    .22 Beater rifle for small game
    .223 HC rifle for medium game and target
    .3006 rifle for large game
    .223 Thompson for pistol hunting medium game
    .45 1911 for carry and general use
    9mm for target and carry
    .44M for hunting medium to small game and carry
    .380 for backup gun adn deep conceal
    .410 for light bird hunting
    12g for home defense
    12g for waterfowl
    20g for pheasants
    12g slug for deer
    12g for skeet

There 16 guns, throw in a few blackpowder pieces and maybe another large frame revolver in .357 and you're topping 20, each with a defined use.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

we have the 2nd ammendment for one reason and one reason only... so the individual can defend himself, his property, and his family from enemies foriegn (invasion) and domestic (criminals, corrupt government actions etc). Hunting, target practice, shooting sports, collectibles, investments, and every other good reason to own a gun is secondary and legally/morally irrelevant.

police carry semi-autos with hi cap mags, shotguns, AR-15 type rifles, .308 sniper rifles and MP5s (swat right?!)... they use them to defend themselves and the public. If they are good for that use (and they must be, since the government can use whatever it wants), then they should be just as good for the civilian individual to be used for the same purpose.

btw, can someone explain to me why a desk jockey or police captain, who works in a police station filled with tons of other cops with more only a radio call away, needs a hi cap 17 round mag in his Glock while joe-six-pack who is alone on the street at night, has no backup and is about a billion times more likely to get attacked only needs a 10 round a mag, I'll give ya a quarter....

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good thing if the assault weapons crap gets defeated this year, the hi-cap mag ban will be history.