Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Short bed on a LWB frame possible?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Dec 11, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

OK, I have been busy making one truck out of two, using the best parts. But, there is a dilemma.
    I didn't realize the frame I am using is a LWB frame! Honestly, with the bed not on, it doesn't look like a LWB, but it is.
    I have a PERFECT short box bed that I really want to use. I did some measurements and it looks like the short bed fits on the LWB frame with the wheelwell and filler door in the right place, but there is about 18" of air between the bed and the cab. This is good for when I decide to paint it, but will look really stupid.
    What do you guys think about a custom toolbox or, hey, even a big custom fuel tank to fill the gap? I have to put SOMETHING there, and it might as well be usefull.
    It's not going to be a show truck, but I want it to look like something the wife and kid might ride me. :)
    Any ideas?
    I can't believe I didn't notice it was a LWB until I tried to put on the rear driveshaft and noticed it's a foot too short...
    -- Mike

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Graft a extended cab or something like it behind the cab.
    I would think a section from a 4 door crew cab truck could work.

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

see if you can find one of the rare extended cab trucks to copy the look of. I think they were made fomr like 85-87

90K5

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, lose the 18" extra inches of frame![​IMG] I've seen a short bed on a long bed frame with some tool box thing in between the cab and the box, the guy did a nice job and it still looked stupid with a capital Ugly! [​IMG]
    Just my usual humble opinion (yeah right!)[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Rare 85-87 extended cabs????????? I have never heard of them. Saw a few custom one off ones but never anything production. Anyone got any pics of one?

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did you want a long bed or a short bed truck? Check if you can trade for the other part that you need. Most every one I know wants the short bed truck. So if you want the long bed you have the bargaining power. Most service places a utility bed on their trucks and that is a great place to get a Long bed. You could also look for a short bed frame to but your parts on and use the long bed frame to do a T-rex conversion on. We're looking for a long bed frame or a Sub. frame to build my friend one.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What's a T-Rex conversion?

I think looking for a SWB frame is out of the question. I already have a SWB frame that is cracked, so I was moving all my stuff to this new frame (that is LWB.) ALready have engine, stick-shift, tcase, axles, etc. all in. Body's on, steering box, steering box brace, sway bar... I can't see taking it all apart again.
    I have a line on a LWB bed. Not in as good of condition as my short box, but if ti has two filler doors and not too much rust, I'll probably take it.
    I do not have a welder, and I don't trust some of my friend's welds enough for it to hold my frame together ') LOL

It looks like I'll just get a long bed and a get my BRAND NEW heavy-duty 1350 driveshaft reshafted longer.... Ouch, talk about money down the drain on the driveshaft.
    Thanks for the input. If any of you guys can think of something better, lemme know.
    -- Mike

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I don't know if its 85-87s, but that what the one looked like with the grill. I've only seen one in my life and I'm pretty sure the ymade them. Go to kbb.com and look it up, it should be in there.

90K5

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 73 to 87 Chevy trucks were never available as an extended cab. Regular cab or crew cab. The one you saw was probably done custom. I know a guy that is doing exactly that, making an extended cab. Big points on the cool factor.

Rene

[​IMG]

11. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

hell cut that frame ,I'll bet you can find a welder that will do it for a case of brew,theres really no trick to it just make carefull measurements ,it can be cut with a sawsall ,and if you reinforce it with 1/4 plate it will be the strongest part of your frame. you'll have to have the drive shaft shortened or trade it for a short bed one
    Mrivan...........